extra color hue for mesh/group, regardless of texture?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
extra color hue for mesh/group, regardless of texture?

So I'm making a first person 3D animation of a 2D game called "The Binding of Isaac" (for context, look it up on youtube, plenty of content). In the game, enemies flash red when they take damage and I'm not quite sure how to recreate that. One way I've found is inputting the enemy's texture as well as a red texture into a Blend Colors node, then setting the "Blender" slider to 1 and back to 0 when the flash is supposed to happen. The thing is, I'm already getting quite far into the animation and I haven't planned for this approach (I should've, I know), because of that I'm now faced with 2 problems:
-Most enemies use multiple textures/materials, so it would be quite a bit of work to set them all up properly. 
-I reused some enemy textures for different objects (probably not good practice either), meaning I would have to recreate and assign a bunch of materials.

Is there another way to accomplish this? Maybe it's possible to add a color hue to an entire object/group of objects, non-related to it's texture(s)?

tl; dr: I need a way to make a model flash red in an animation without using a Blend Colors node

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
you can use vertex color of the object  on top of your texture and set it to say "add" mode,  then add a "polyColorMod" to control HSV of the vertex color.
Have a look at the menu "mesh display".

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Awesome, I'll look into that, thanks!

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
i would create an id and do that in post...

reply share thread