reference loses material

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #1
reference loses material

reference the same file twice only get a material on one of them...is that normal....i dont do alot of referencing typically..thanks

Old 07 July 2012   #2
Do you have use namespaces on in the nameclash options for create reference? It could be caused by a namespace conflict, as both references have the same nodes with the same dag names...

Old 07 July 2012   #3
Check the render layers. If someone renamed an object in your reference,.. then you will need to re apply a specific material for that reference 'in' that specific render layer.

Old 07 July 2012   #4
it was a namespace problem..thanks that was driving me bananas

Old 07 July 2012   #5
on a lot of productions I've worked on we re-apply the material with geo sets once geometry is cached because we've had too many issues referencing materials.

Old 07 July 2012   #6
Just don't reference in materials. It's a bad workflow and Maya breaks very easily. What you should do is have a rig file, a rig model file and a lighting scene. Animate with the rig file, geocache that, apply the geocache to the model file and then apply/develop shaders in the lighting scene. Don't apply any shaders or render layers in the model file and you should be peachy.
GChat AndresMWeber
www.moving-picture.com

Old 07 July 2012   #7
Originally Posted by Daemonecles: Just don't reference in materials. It's a bad workflow and Maya breaks very easily. What you should do is have a rig file, a rig model file and a lighting scene. Animate with the rig file, geocache that, apply the geocache to the model file and then apply/develop shaders in the lighting scene. Don't apply any shaders or render layers in the model file and you should be peachy.

I recently started to learn this myself and totally recommend it. Took me a while to finally understand the fbx workflow, still making mistakes all the time

Old 07 July 2012   #8
Re:

oops wrong post.

Old 07 July 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread