Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Blackshore
Veteran
portfolio
Michael Blackshore
Visby, Sweden

Talking Sensitive IK Twist or Skinning problem? (beginner)

Hi guys!
I trying to learn how to do a character rig and currently following a tutorial from Gnomon called puppet rig.
Instead of the character he uses, I'm using my own.
The skinning was quickly done and I am at the phase where I'm going to insert a IK twist.
As you might see in the video, the twist seems a bit sensitive.
Do you know if it is a skinning issue or if it is a IK twist issue? Or perhaps something else?

Thanks for any help given!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

I think that you are skinning in "post" mode and not "interactive". It must be "interactive" so the weights don't go over 1. Check the "normalize weights" menu when you paint weights

Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Blackshore
Veteran
portfolio
Michael Blackshore
Visby, Sweden

I just pressed the Update Weights in the skincluster and did a Normalize Weights as suggested.
The mesh does now not explode any longer, but it's still weired.
I think now that it's skinning problem and that it might be the 3 clusters that might need some adjustments... what do you think?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

There must be something wrong with the Advanced Twist options of your ikSpline, and your joint chain is not good. It is anatomically correct but it's not the way we rig a character's torso. Did the gnomon tutorial recommended that ? Your chain should be as straight as possible, and in the center of the torso, not in her back

Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
hazmondo
Expert

portfolio
Harry
Rigging TD
Axis Animation
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I don't know a lot about Maya, but if this was happening in 3ds Max I'd suggest making sure that the spine is inheriting radians from the controlling object rather than float values which would cause it to rotate much more than it should.

-Harry

Old 09-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

There aren't such issues in maya, deg to rad conversion is done automatically with unitConversion nodes. Besides, the ikSpline's advanced twist is based on vectors.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Blackshore
Veteran
portfolio
Michael Blackshore
Visby, Sweden

I started with this tutorial: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...aracter-rigging

But since the tutor uses a custom shelf without going threw how to create the functions manually, I jumped to the puppet rig tutorial.
Now, I'm thinking of redoing the rig from scratch using the puppet rig tutorial from the beginning instead.

Thanks for answering!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshore
I started with this tutorial: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...aracter-rigging

But since the tutor uses a custom shelf without going threw how to create the functions manually, I jumped to the puppet rig tutorial.
Now, I'm thinking of redoing the rig from scratch using the puppet rig tutorial from the beginning instead.

Thanks for answering!

I don't really like using the advanced twist. I find that it always flips around when you rotate the character through space too much. How many of you guys actually use the Advanced twist in your rigs?

If I want the dual twisting function I use a second bone chain parented to each corresponding bone of the first set and then SDK the twist rotations using the chest and hip controls twist rotation as drivers.

Most of the time though I leave the hip only influencing the hip and then just connect the chest to the normal IK twist. This is a simple soloution that doesn't flip out when you go upside down.

Thoughts?

Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

I use it a lot ! In the Spine, in the neck, arms and legs and I don't have any serious flipping issues when moving my character in space. Sometimes I also use nurbs surfaces with rivets (for ropes, tails, etc...)

Old 09-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
gagex2z
PRO
portfolio
gagex2z
Tampa, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahuska
I use it a lot ! In the Spine, in the neck, arms and legs and I don't have any serious flipping issues when moving my character in space. Sometimes I also use nurbs surfaces with rivets (for ropes, tails, etc...)

Interesting, maybe you could do a small tutorial on it to showcase the stability. I follwed 2 digital tutors and one youtube tutorial and all 3 ended up having my spine flip 180 when the chraracter twisted or flipped in space too much.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Pahuska
Veteran

portfolio
FERRACHAT Guillaume
Maya Rigging/Scripting
Valence, France

Well, there will always be a 180 flip at some time, but it's okay if you can control when it appears. Actually, the problem is that if it doesn't flip at 180, the model will start pinching, wich is worse. If you setup your advanced twist correctly, first of all you'll rarely reach the flipping limit, and second, in most cases, it won't be noticeable, whereas the pinching will be very visible and it'll a real problem. Do you have the links of the tutorials you're talking about ?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Blackshore
Veteran
portfolio
Michael Blackshore
Visby, Sweden

I have decided to learn rigging form scratch, making a automation script myself.
http://cgtoolkit.net/osc/product_in...&products_id=34

He goes threw the entire process, including scripting. So we will see how that goes.
Do you have any other recommended biped rigging tutorial that goes threw the entire process?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread