Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
GuineaPog

portfolio
Chris Russell
Blacksburg, USA

Send a message via AIM to GuineaPog
Hey let me tell ya what I did when I found a HUGE passion for CG in High School (I went to a tiny little private college prep school, so extra curriculars were hard to come by outside the standard band art drama) Anyways I founded the animation club at my school and membership triples almost every year. I started out teaching alot of animation others, but eventualy it became a collaborative deal where we teach and help each other and hold a gallery deal at the end of the year.

You'd be surprised how much intrested you can get with animation we worked with all kinds of programs Flash, blender, maya, game maker. etc.

Im currently a sopohmore in college now but i hear the club is still doing well. Trying starting something like that at your school and make it happen!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
Pandaren117
Student, Freshman

portfolio
Brian Choi
Student
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPositive
If you are wanting to do artistry of game design for a career, then I'm not sure why you are even thinking about computer science. You would be better off taking some figure drawing, painting, and sculpture courses and dabblin in a 3D package for the time being. There should be some local art schools where you can take some cheap art classes in the evenings. This will get you far further than any other method.

Is it a bad idea if I take it as a minor so I get a feel for the engineering side at least? Well rounded?

Brian Choi's Portfolio - Currently looking for art internships!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #18
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaren117
Is it a bad idea if I take it as a minor so I get a feel for the engineering side at least? Well rounded?

It's probably not worth your time. The only exception I can think of is if you are interested in working for a very small studio, where their aren't enough people to specialize.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #19
Pandaren117
Student, Freshman

portfolio
Brian Choi
Student
USA

Would it hurt if I did take minors in say history or comp sci along with the major I want to do?

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaren117
Would it hurt if I did take minors in say history or comp sci along with the major I want to do?

It won't hurt per se, but it will take time away from your primary focus. If you have a passion for art history or computer science, go ahead and take the minor; their are certainly jobs where either one would be useful. However, you shouldn't feel obligated to do so.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #21
Pandaren117
Student, Freshman

portfolio
Brian Choi
Student
USA

Ya I have this inbred academic lust that is in me. I think ever since I was a child, it was "do well in school" and it really meant "do well" Getting As, getting on Honor programs, getting into a better highschool. I think I missed out on a lot of opportunity to attend art schools or classes like some of my peers.

Would that be deterimental to me? It seems the majority of my highschool career was just to look good to colleges without any sense of doing what I wanted to do, meaning that I didn't take large steps toward art, etc, and kept it as a hobby.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
TeresaNord
Teresa
Character Animator
USA

Hey Brian,
No, I do not believe that would be detrimental to you. It is never detrimental to do well in school. In fact, all of your studies and hard work will only benefit you even more.
Trust me ... you are still young and have plenty of time to devote to your artistic skills.
I speak from experience on this one...

Instead of wanting to develop art for games I knew early on that I wanted to work on animated feature films. I was not entirely sure what part of the process I wanted to go into at first. I loved all of it. I took a couple art classes in high school, but not many (I doodled in every single class). Sophomore year I joined the video production club and participated heavily in it for the next 3 years. I explored story boarding and video editing quite a bit before I realized my true passion was animation. My senior year of high school my senior project was teaching myself animation and that's when I began to realize and wish I had taken more art classes. Like you I had focused on my academics, taking many AP and honor courses, while keeping up my GPA. I discovered a little too late that the colleges I wished to attend cared more about the art portfolio than the grades.

To remedy this I spent one whole year at the local community college, which had a fantastic fine art program. I devoted every waking moment to working on my art. I took 5 courses in figure drawing, experimental drawing, design and color, fundamentals of drawing, ancient medieval art history, and installation art. I was then able to explore the school's I wanted to attend with a portfolio in hand.

Funny thing is.. after many campus visits I actually decided upon a school that did not require a portfolio, however, to this day I am still happy I spent that year learning the basic foundation of art. I would not do it any other way.
I attended Animation Mentor for 18 months and focused solely on character animation. Upon graduating last January I went on to work on my first feature film.

So, I just wanted to let you know that everything will work out and I can already tell you're a determined person... and that determination is what will drive you to success.
Whenever I find myself wishing I would have started learning animation or art even earlier.. I just remember to consider myself lucky.
It's a rare thing to discover your true passion at such a young age.
Many people don't realize what they want to do until after college or they have a career in something else...
You have plenty of time and will make it!
Good luck and Best wishes!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #23
Pandaren117
Student, Freshman

portfolio
Brian Choi
Student
USA

Thank you for the words. Much obliged. I think my current plan is to go take extracirricular classes in traditional art and relearn my basics and learn some things I beleive I can't do on my own. I think I'm more of a teacher/mentor teaching kind of person

Last edited by Pandaren117 : 05-21-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
razorbjc
Elephant of Hatred

portfolio
James Chan
3D Modeler
Sony Imageworks
Vancouver, Canada

Bachelor's of Computer Science and Art

Hey, I actually go to carnegie mellon right now! In fact, i transferred into the BCSA program from art last year. The computer science program here is excellent! You will be very happy with how robust the graphics department is.

Be warned though, the art school here does not stress formal training. Instead, it focuses on fine art/conceptual art(NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH CONCEPT ART). That's the weird modern art stuff you see in museums nowadays. The school does not even have a color theory or illustration class! It's all just running around doing crazy stuff and calling it art. I would go somewhere else if you were serious about doing game art.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #25
Pandaren117
Student, Freshman

portfolio
Brian Choi
Student
USA

SWEET! Razor, would you mind if I could PM some questions about Carnigie Mellon? Its in one of my lists for potential dream schools.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #26
razorbjc
Elephant of Hatred

portfolio
James Chan
3D Modeler
Sony Imageworks
Vancouver, Canada

sure panderan, go ahead.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #27
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread