joint offsets with multiplydivide node

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
joint offsets with multiplydivide node

im trying to rig this character and trying to rig up the spine

but i keep running into these problems

was trying to use the multpiply divide node to control the orientation of this joint
it seemed to work fine with one joint, but when i tried to use it for another joint
its like the joints orientation gets offset somehow or something

http://youtu.be/6lXoH5zp4bs

08 August 2013
It is working in the x axis because the joints initial value is the same as the output of the md node(which is 0). Because the joints other axis are not zero it is going to rotate the joint once you connect the md node to them as it is setting them to zero. You should transfer the values in your joints rotation channels to it's joint orient channels.

In general you want your rotation channels on your joints zeroed out before starting to rig or skin them to a mesh.

Jake.

08 August 2013
zero out the rotation channels on my joints ...
um ... I'm not certain how to do that T_T

08 August 2013
OH SNAP!!! I SEE IT NOW
HA HA, THAT's WONDERFUL ^_^

08 August 2013
oh no, i shouldn't have skinned it so soon
i think that messed up my shindig (lets see if i can get a picture)

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by nelson-press: oh no, i shouldn't have skinned it so soon
i think that messed up my shindig (lets see if i can get a picture)

Fortunately you don't have to start from scratch, what you need to do is delete the associated bind pose, de-skin the mesh while keeping history, and rebinding the mesh. There are script around that do that, here's the one I made:

//this mel should reskin your mesh
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;                                           // select objects, assume there's only one and that's our mesh
string $sck = `findRelatedSkinCluster($sel[0])`;                    // gets the skin cluster
string $bindP[] = `listConnections -s 1 ($sck+".bindPose")`;        // gets the bindpose from skin cluster, assumes there's only one
string $bones[] = `listConnections ($sck+".matrix")`;               // retrieves joints
delete $bindP[0];                                                   // deletes bind pose
skinCluster -e -ubk $sck;                                           // removes the skinning but keeps it in history
skinCluster -tsb $bones $sel[0];                                    // rebinds joints to mesh
select -r $sel;                                                     // reset to initial selection

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by berniebernie: Fortunately you don't have to start from scratch, what you need to do is delete the associated bind pose, de-skin the mesh while keeping history, and rebinding the mesh. There are script around that do that, here's the one I made:

//this mel should reskin your mesh
string $sel[] = `ls -sl`;                                           // select objects, assume there's only one and that's our mesh
string $sck = `findRelatedSkinCluster($sel[0])`;                    // gets the skin cluster
string $bindP[] = `listConnections -s 1 ($sck+".bindPose")`;        // gets the bindpose from skin cluster, assumes there's only one
string $bones[] = `listConnections ($sck+".matrix")`;               // retrieves joints
delete $bindP[0];                                                   // deletes bind pose
skinCluster -e -ubk $sck;                                           // removes the skinning but keeps it in history
skinCluster -tsb $bones $sel[0];                                    // rebinds joints to mesh
select -r $sel;                                                     // reset to initial selection

It's not working, it says "No object matches name:"
it seems to mess up around the point where it's trying to delete the bind pose

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by nelson-press: It's not working, it says "No object matches name:"
it seems to mess up around the point where it's trying to delete the bind pose

ah, sorry, there's no error checking.. You can manually do the steps it should work.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by berniebernie: ah, sorry, there's no error checking.. You can manually do the steps it should work.

yes, i just went back through it, well i went back through the script a while ago
and processed the script piece by piece and it seems to have worked

thanks this really seems to have helped in fixing my rig thing

figuring out how to rig a character in maya feels like an uphill battle the entire way

i guess i could make a more simple rig, but i wanted to do something that was ... well ... more than just a simple kind of rig you know what i mean?

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread