Animating a blanket with NCLOTH

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Animating a blanket with NCLOTH

Im currently working on my thesis and the whole film the little girl is interacting with her blankie. the problem is, im not sure what sort of base shape i should start with before i add the ncloth, and what kind of ncontraints i should use.. she needs to be able to to pick it up and drop it. i have tried many different things and i cant seem to get anything to work, if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it.
thanks
amy

01 January 2013
If it is thick cloth then your best option is to create a simple 2D plane for the nCloth simulation. Make sure it has enough geometry (squares only) to deform the way you want. Also model the thick blanket that will actually render. Use a Wrap Deformer to drive the renderable geometry with the nCloth. Make sure to turn Exclusive Bind on in the Wrap Deformer.

Use a Transform Constraint for each place on the cloth that you want the character to touch. Link or constrain the dynamicConstraint locator to your character and key the Enable attribute off, then on when the character picks up the cloth.

Optionally, you can use a Strength Dropoff ramp in conjunction with Dropoff Distance in the dynamicConstraint node. To make this work properly, select the vertices near the point of contact before adding the Transform Constraint. Or else use nConstraint > Add Members.

Most importantly, you must set the Space Scale in the nucleus node to correspond to the scale of your scene. For scenes at 1/100th scale, leave Space Scale at 1.0. For scenes modeled at 1 to 1 scale, set the Space Scale to 0.01.

Best,

Aaron

01 January 2013
animating with ncloth response

Thanks Aaron, that really helped alot, it looked like there was just a few steps i was missing. also would you know how to get the ncloth not to go through my characters fingers, it makes it look really bad, and also for some reason my cloth seems to go through its self, i have put on the self collide and the regular collision is there something i have missed?
thanks
amy

01 January 2013
This info is very helpful. I am familiar with this workflow in other packages but it is nice to see this all laid out here Maya. Going to bookmark this for future tests.

On the hands, Amy, do you have a the body of the character set up as an a collision object?

Select your character body, In the nDynamics menu, chose, Create Passive Collider.

For the blankie, you can adjust the self-collision distance.

There are several settings for Self Collision under "Collisions"

One I am familiar working with is set the Self Collision Flag to Vertex.

Then you can turn on the Solver Display to Self Collision. And the Self Collide with Scale slider is relative to the Collision Distance. You can adjust this up and see the yellow balls enlarge. The correct settings here should solve your problem.

You can set the collision distance on the fingers too.

Also make sure you have enough geometry on the cloth so bend around the fingers.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread