Mottled shadows; Pic and Links to Files inside!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Mottled shadows; Pic and Links to Files inside!

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a generic lighting stage where I can just drop in models or small scenes and render them out for presentations.

I think I'm almost there but I have a few issues and I'm hoping you can help.

My shadows have a mottled effect and appear dirty. I've tried to fiddle around with settings but I can't seem to clean them up and I'm not confident enough to delve further into it. I'm also after softer shadows instead of harsh, sharp shadows. Ideally, I'd have my sun directly over the model so there isn't directional shadows. Kind of like a midday light. (12 o'clock) I also had a problem where my shadows were the same colour as the model that was casting it. So a yellow teapot was casting a yellowish shadow.

What I'm after is;

Clean shadows
Soft Shadows
Able to see whites (notice the white post that goes missing)
Nice looking colours

I'm using VRay materials for the objects, Metal and Plastic colours. VRay sun and also a Dome light in my scene.

I have a scene that I use now with a VRay sun and half dozen direction lights. I'm trying to improve on that, limit the amount of lights and make it generally easier for others to use.

Here's a couple of links to my 3dmax(2009) scene files if anyone feels curius enough to have a look and make any improvements or just to see my settings and where I'm going wrong.

This is my original scene I'm using now.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4599526/Original%20Scene.rar

This is my improved scene I'm trying to make.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4599526/Improve%20Scene.rar

This is my material file for reference.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4599526/2009%20material.rar

Any tips or tricks I can use would be great.

Thanks!
Tim.

06 June 2012
Just by looking at your image, are you using GI? The GI settings look very low, which would be the splotchy look you see. I'd toss out the half dozen directional lights you site and use the domelight you were using. It should provide a better quality render and work better with Vray in the end.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by japetus: Just by looking at your image, are you using GI? The GI settings look very low, which would be the splotchy look you see. I'd toss out the half dozen directional lights you site and use the domelight you were using. It should provide a better quality render and work better with Vray in the end.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, I'm using GI. I was using Irradiance Map for Primary Bounces and Light Cache for Secondary but I changed Primary Bounce to Brute Force and it's cleaned up the shadows but it makes the whole render a little grainy. It's better, just grainy.

I definitely want to keep the dome light scene as it's just easier to work with and I get a better render over all. I think it can look a bit more realistic. I'm still playing around with the settings, but it's all guess work really. I've read a few tutes and followed some examples. THey help to understand what's going on a bit more but unfortunately not getting my scene up to my standard.

Thanks again.

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by Tim82: Thanks for replying.

Yeah, I'm using GI. I was using Irradiance Map for Primary Bounces and Light Cache for Secondary but I changed Primary Bounce to Brute Force and it's cleaned up the shadows but it makes the whole render a little grainy. It's better, just grainy.

I definitely want to keep the dome light scene as it's just easier to work with and I get a better render over all. I think it can look a bit more realistic. I'm still playing around with the settings, but it's all guess work really. I've read a few tutes and followed some examples. THey help to understand what's going on a bit more but unfortunately not getting my scene up to my standard.

Thanks again.

You can adjust the graininess by using Subdivision Sampling as your AA method or by decereasing the Noise Threshold in VRay's Settings > DMC Sampler settings. You can also through a hdr in the domelight and that will further the realism.

06 June 2012
It looks like you are rendering in gamma 1.0 space, which is why you are overcompensating with all those lights!

You really don't need (want) a sun for a stage like this. You should be able to get by with a dome light and an HDRI plugged into it, and maybe 2 plane lights as a key and a rim.

You might try to download solidrocks lite (free version) and see if it help with the splotches. Brute force looks great, but it's slow and it seems like speed is the key here for you.

06 June 2012
@24-bit - Thanks for that info. I'd love to get rid of the sun! I'll go through your message and try to implement those changes. I mucked around with trying to put HDRI on the dome light. I was a little confused. I can attach VRayHDRI to the light but there's no way of choosing a HDRI map. If I attach a bitmap instead, then choose a HDRI map and click "use texture", I see to get different looks based on the HDRI map. I DL'd a bunch of free ones to try. But using VRayHDRI by itself doesn't seem to do much except make the image really dark. I'll have a look into this. Never used HDRI before.

@Vlad - Thanks for that link, I'll definitely check these out.

06 June 2012
Also check out this link:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R1/

06 June 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread