gtx 780ti 3gb or 780 6gb? Ram or Speed for general CG work

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 08 August 2014   #1
gtx 780ti 3gb or 780 6gb? Ram or Speed for general CG work

Hello,
These two cards are out, and I was wondering which is the better choice for a freelancer who is doing general cg work, from 3D to compositing and video editing, etc.
For gpu rendering, I know that the more ram, the better. But, for a generalist, we have to think about other aspects, such as the gpu speed for instance.
I was wondering what is the better for compositing and video editing, in programs such as davinci for instance, should we have more ram or more speed? And in compositing? etc?
Any experience in that field?
Thank you.

Old 08 August 2014   #2
Please don't post hardware threads in the General Discussions forum.

Old 08 August 2014   #3
The extra ram difference will be more useful than the small speed difference.

Old 08 August 2014   #4
Originally Posted by imashination: The extra ram difference will be more useful than the small speed difference.

Thank you, makes sense indeed.
And leigh, sorry for that, I didn't pay attention.

Old 08 August 2014   #5
An official of EVGA said to me that he thinks that for most CG work, the the GPU/Memory speed will have a greater impact on performance.
What do you think of that?

Old 08 August 2014   #6
It will, most scenes will work perfectly fine with a 2/3GB card. However the 6GB card gives you a lot of breathing space should you take on a complex project or want to dip your toes into GPU rendering in the future, you'll be all set.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Ok, thank you : )
That's for 3d work, and what about other fields like video editing/compositing? What do they use the most? Ram or speed?

Old 08 August 2014   #8
Originally Posted by boumay: Ok, thank you : )
That's for 3d work, and what about other fields like video editing/compositing? What do they use the most? Ram or speed?

Neither, GPU acceleration in editing and comp is very little and well scattered.
The difference in speed is really small compared to the difference in ram, and while a difference in speed isn't an enabler when it's that small, a difference in ram will be the difference between can and can't if it ever comes into play.
6GB over 3 in a heartbeat.

Old 08 August 2014   #9
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: Neither, GPU acceleration in editing and comp is very little and well scattered.
The difference in speed is really small compared to the difference in ram, and while a difference in speed isn't an enabler when it's that small, a difference in ram will be the difference between can and can't if it ever comes into play.
6GB over 3 in a heartbeat.

Thank you for this info.

Old 08 August 2014   #10
I agree, I wish I would have waited a month before I got my GTX 780, because for pretty much the same price I could have had the 6GB version instead of 3GB.

reply share thread