Nuke Roto Masks and Particle Shadows

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Nuke Roto Masks and Particle Shadows

I am relatively new to Nuke though i do know the basic UI etc.

I am currently working on a school project for this intro I had to do for my BFA

Video

There are two things that I am figuring out how to do:

1.) I was told this is basic, based on feedback I need to add a kind of saturation glow or color change when the flames get their color glow. I already set up and keyed roto masks on several parts, but what I am having a hard time with is putting nodes like Grade or Color Correct and applying them to the masks areas. Simply attaching the mask connection to the Roto node is not doing anyting.

2.) I would like to know is there way to generate shadows of those particles on my body? I want to have the shadows really go over the form of the body.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Nodes have a mask input on the right side. Pipe the roto nodes into that.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Originally Posted by Venator11387: 2.) I would like to know is there way to generate shadows of those particles on my body? I want to have the shadows really go over the form of the body.

One way would be to model + animate a CG hand so that it corresponds to the movement of the real hand, then render it out and multiply the shadow pass over the footage.

- Jesus

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Thank you both for the replies! For some reason, I did not get email notification so sorry for the late reply.

I was able to do mask the parts of the body that are affected by the light and added a color correct and a glow node. I have not tried the particle shadows yet.

For the moment, I am wondering how can I possibly make a flicker effect with the glow?

Right now the color and glow are staying still, but the values should move as the fire flickers.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Venator11387: For the moment, I am wondering how can I possibly make a flicker effect with the glow?

Right now the color and glow are staying still, but the values should move as the fire flickers.

Have you tried animating the values? You can do that by clicking the little wave icon at the end of the sliders/input box and clicking 'Set key'. That will insert a keyframe for that value, then you can move to another keyframe, adjust, set the keyframe, and so on.

- Jesus

Old 09 September 2012   #6
You could also use a noise curve expression for the values.
http://www.nukepedia.com/written-tutorials/noise-curve/

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Thanks for the suggestion! I learned to use expressions as well now too

I ended up using a much simpler noise expression since I had trouble wrapping my head around the one you gave.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread