Color hue shift after export in After Effects CS5. (Not Gamma problem) How to fix?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

4 Weeks Ago
Color hue shift after export in After Effects CS5. (Not Gamma problem) How to fix?

Hello!

I've been struggling to fix this problem for a long time. Here is what I've been experiencing:
Whenever I export my videos using After Effects, the colors of the video will always turn out to have a different hue and saturation.

The change in colors are exceptionally noticeable in the green and red colors in the video. In the image above, the screenshot on the left is from the original video and on the right is an MP4 h264 version of it exported out of After Effects. Notice that the red color of the arm(left) has a more yellowish hue making it look orange(right). Whereas the green color of the jacket (the thing that the fist is punching) has a more bluish hue and looks darker compared to the original. The original video is a 25.8GB lossless MOV file that was exported out of Adobe Animate CC using the "Export Video..." option. The MP4 is exported with using 8-bit Project Setting and no Color Management.

I've tried different codecs in After Effects but they all produce the same color-shifted result. I've also tried exporting it with the different After Effects Color Management and Working Space settings but all that also produced the same results except for one Working Space, namely "Apple RGB", that produced a close color hue which was still different from the original colors. The only export format that preserves the original colors is .AVI lossless (probably because there are not codecs used) but the file size is too big for me to work with or upload to Youtube. I've also tried encoding the lossless file in Adobe Media Encoder hoping to get a smaller-sized video file without any shift in colors but the output was exactly the same as when I exported it using After Effects.

I'm using After Effects CS5 64-bit with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. As for hardware(might not be relevant but just in case), I am using Intel Core i5-2400 and Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics Card. Thinking that it might be a problem with my computer, I even used my brother's computer to do an export of the video but the output still had the same color shifts. My brother's computer has Windows 10 and he uses After Effects CC 2017. So I guess it's not an After Effects version issue.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this color change and how I can export my video with After Effects without any color change in other video formats besides lossless?

-Shoukei

3 Weeks Ago
After Effects really isn't good at compressing files. You should always render a HQ file (I use ProRes) and convert that file to MP4 - I highly recommend Mpeg Streamclip, it's a free program. The lossless will always have a slightly better colour quality as you're not removing any of the information, but with MPEG Streamclip I find the colour loss is very minor.

3 Weeks Ago
Also check out the sticky thread at the top of this forum!

reply share thread