Greyscalegorilla reduced the prices of renewals

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by ahven: GSG plugins are expensive and not adding much to workflow. Topcoat can speed up things up a bit but once you have made few basic r16 shaders you can modify them and you don´t need any plugins for that. Bit of scam to new users

I am a hobbyist and I am lazy, GSG plugins work for me and they are not really all that expensive considering the time they save me.

12 December 2015
Originally Posted by cpm5280: That's a huge, wild assumption. Some of us are non-hobbyist users, but who work in partially/entirely non-commercial environments and we don't get paid per project. We build our toolset carefully, slowly, rationing out plugin purchases and upgrades on a per-case basis with what little resources we have available - under this model, we lose big.

I'm sorry if that's the situation for you. But look at it from the developers point of view - what kind of users should they be targeting their tools at? If they want to run it as a business then it only makes sense to me that professional users are their primary market. Sure that sucks for hobby users or other users that don't make a significant return on their investment in software tools but that's life isn't it?
Should I by the same token take every low-paying project or 'share in the profits if we make any' (believe me there are a lot of these advertised all the time) project that I come across? I guess I could, but then I'd not be able to pay my rent, or possibly eat. So I am selective about the work I take on and generally only take jobs that pay a rate I know I can live with. (I also learned the hard way when I was starting off that strangely the people who are willing to pay you the least are often the ones who demand the most and have very little respect for your skills in the long term - if you sell yourself short then people know from the start they can walk all over you.)
I see no good reason why plugin developers shouldn't have the same attitude.

People can argue whether the prices are fair or not, that's a question for every individual purchaser to answer for themselves ultimately. But I can't blame someone for wanting to be paid what they might see as a fair price for their work. As I said already, if you don't see it as being worth it - then don't buy it.

Originally Posted by unclebob: I am a hobbyist and I am lazy, GSG plugins work for me and they are not really all that expensive considering the time they save me.

This is a completely rational reason to buy tools to me. The 'time is money' cliche is a cliche for good reason.. if something makes your life easier and the expense is something you can handle then why not have it.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 12 December 2015 at 04:12 AM.

1 Week Ago
Hi CG Society! 

Thanks for all the feedback. We take our customer's feedback very seriously. 

I wanted to make sure everyone knew that our licensing terms have been drastically simplified since this discussion. No yearly fees. Just simple licensing that you would expect from a major Plugin Developer. 

You can learn more about it here. 
https://greyscalegorilla.com/2016/1...ke-this-simple/

Thanks again for all your feedback and for supporting Greyscalegorilla. 

Cheers,
Nick

reply share thread