Anyone using Cycles?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
Anyone using Cycles?

Just picked up the X-Particles/Cycles bundle basically for the more stable skin meshes for fluid and hopefully a better renderer for X-Particles. Played with it for a couple of hours, love the real time preview, node based system and it's SSS looks really nice. The denoiser is pretty sweet. Any pitfalls rendering animations with it? Comparisons to Physical using HDRI lighting and SSS as far as render speed?

Thanks for any insights!
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

2 Weeks Ago
I have used it, and it's not too bad. I did the same thing by purchasing it as a bundle with X-Particles. Animation is nice and smooth. One of the things that I found interesting is you can use it with Team Render with GPU rendering. Two of my Macs have NVidia cards and Team Render simply worked, no issues at all. But it only works with animation and cannot Team Render with one frame. Having said that, using two NVidia GPUs was not nearly as fast as Redshift on one GPU. But to be fair, I am not a Cycles expert and may not understand how to properly tune the scene for performance. But the integration with X-Particles is very well done and Team Rendering is an option when Redshift cannot create the output I'm looking for. HDRIs work great, but there is a few extra steps you need to do if you want to rotate the environment, but no big deal.

Below is a link of a test animation I did with an HDRI. This was just a test, so it's not the best animation.

https://vimeo.com/239456608

Mark

2 Weeks Ago
I took advantage of the bundle deal as well, and currently I'm using Cycles to render mostly Explosia effects since rendering them with the standard X Particles gaseous material is slow and doesn't look great. The results using Explosia are great; even though I'm a Cycles novice I've been able to get what I'd call production quality results without too much trouble. I have been a bit frustrated trying to do some simple things in Cycles that would take two seconds using Physical or Standard, but I also haven't committed to a deep dive into all of its features. I find the nodes to be fairly counter intuitive, but again I haven't really pushed into this area too much. I'd say anyone planning on using Explosia should just go ahead and get Cycles too though. Being able to render tests as you're building a sim without continually caching and importing into another renderer is a huge help.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by frizz2112: I took advantage of the bundle deal as well, and currently I'm using Cycles to render mostly Explosia effects since rendering them with the standard X Particles gaseous material is slow and doesn't look great. The results using Explosia are great; even though I'm a Cycles novice I've been able to get what I'd call production quality results without too much trouble. I have been a bit frustrated trying to do some simple things in Cycles that would take two seconds using Physical or Standard, but I also haven't committed to a deep dive into all of its features. I find the nodes to be fairly counter intuitive, but again I haven't really pushed into this area too much. I'd say anyone planning on using Explosia should just go ahead and get Cycles too though. Being able to render tests as you're building a sim without continually caching and importing into another renderer is a huge help.
You bring up a good point about not having to cache to VDB. But like everything, there is a trade off. I have a project that I will be doing this spring but wanted to test out Cycles4D and Explosia - a proof of concept. The render took so long in Cycles4D that I stopped it after eight hours and created it as a VDB and rendered the scene below in 20 minutes with Redshift. But to your point, creating the VDB took four hours.

https://vimeo.com/251983192

The raw video was from another project so it does not line up well. But I do like how the X-Particles VDB rendered with Redshift. The Cycles4D actually looked a little better, but I did not have the patience to wait until the next day to see how it turned out. I may need to spend more time learning Cycles4D because I liked how it looked.

Mark

2 Weeks Ago
Im not enjoying my Cycles. GPU is slower than Redshift, and CPU is slower than Arnold. Cleaning denoise can take some time, and im still not sure how to optimize it properly. It feels slow, and the icons in the ipr cant be resized (minor complaint). Lacks the simplicity arnold has, but the latest update was a step in the right direction, and Insydium is a great company (I purchased it because of that). Also, because I customized my keyboard and I use a wacom pen, I cant zoom the cycles node editor, this should be fixed.

I know is not Cycles fault, but Redshift is too damn fast at the moment
Former gf: XSI

1 Week Ago
I've played with Cycles in Bforartists. Render speed is medium-to-slow on the Core i7 / Nvidia 850 GPU laptop I tried it on. Of course this is 4 cores and an older GPU.

Of course Redshift is much faster. Cycles is a pathtracer, Redshift is a biased GPU renderer famous for its render speed.

The main person developing Cycles also left to work - paid - on Arnold instead as far as I know.

So the question of whether anyone will optimize Cycles significantly is an open one.

Render quality in Cycles, from my limited tests, was pretty good.

reply share thread