CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
RJWaterworth
portfolio
Canada

Quadro or not

On the surface it is sometimes hard to see any difference between the higher pried Quadro cards and the Gamer cards. Here is my experience. I have worked with Maya since 2000. I started on SGI and once Maya was ported to Windows I jumped on it. I have used many many vid cards over the years. Both Quadro and cheaper game cards. What I have always noticed is this. Cheaper cards work fine, but there are always a few little issues here and there with the GUI, Things that make Maya crash now and then, or make the GUI act odd. Quadro cards seem to make the program rock solid. If you spend 10 hours a day working in front of Maya, 2 or 3 crashes a day is a really pain. I have issues with the hypershade not displaying icons correctly. Most importantly I have issues with particles and dynamics. Working with cheaper card tends to crash Maya a lot when I use Fluid Dynamics. So, if you use Maya as a hobbyist or just once in a while, then maybe you don't need a Quadro. On the other hand if you need to push your system hard for hour after hour then I would invest in a Quadro.
I never play games on my workstation, so that isn't an issue.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
Gazzamataz
Frequenter

portfolio
Gary Abrehart
3D Artist/Animator
Westerham, United Kingdom

RJWaterworth

That is a very interesting answer and since I don't spend day after day in front of Maya but mainly C4D which doesn't do much with Quadros just yet I think I'll stick with my old nVidia GeForce 460 :-)

Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
lostparanoia
Care bear
Mikael
VFX artist - 3D
Malmö, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJWaterworth
On the surface it is sometimes hard to see any difference between the higher pried Quadro cards and the Gamer cards. Here is my experience. I have worked with Maya since 2000. I started on SGI and once Maya was ported to Windows I jumped on it. I have used many many vid cards over the years. Both Quadro and cheaper game cards. What I have always noticed is this. Cheaper cards work fine, but there are always a few little issues here and there with the GUI, Things that make Maya crash now and then, or make the GUI act odd. Quadro cards seem to make the program rock solid. If you spend 10 hours a day working in front of Maya, 2 or 3 crashes a day is a really pain. I have issues with the hypershade not displaying icons correctly. Most importantly I have issues with particles and dynamics. Working with cheaper card tends to crash Maya a lot when I use Fluid Dynamics. So, if you use Maya as a hobbyist or just once in a while, then maybe you don't need a Quadro. On the other hand if you need to push your system hard for hour after hour then I would invest in a Quadro.
I never play games on my workstation, so that isn't an issue.

It's indeed a very interesting answer since my experience is the exact opposite. In later years quadro cards graphics drivers have been crashing a lot for me while geforce cards have been working quite well with maya. Perhaps this is dependent on other factors as well though.

It would be very interesting to get a high poly count performance comparison between the quadro and the equivalent geforce in VP 2.0. It seems most people are still comparing in the old viewport which is more or less deprecated nowadays.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
Gazzamataz
Frequenter

portfolio
Gary Abrehart
3D Artist/Animator
Westerham, United Kingdom

Actually now that you come to mention it the Quadro 6000 that I was using on the music videos was a bit of a joke when I first started using it. Admittedly it had only just been released but it crashed the workstation I was using in just about any program using OpenGL...

Newer drivers seemed to help but I seem to remember going back to older drivers to fix things - still wasn't that stable though.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
Leonona
portfolio

I have never used a Quadro, but I have an AMD Firepro W7000 that I use with Maya. I think Quadros and Firepros give about the same performance in Maya, so I assume I can apply my experiences with Firepro to Quadro.

First, If some of you have had unstable performance with a Quadro in Maya or a nother professional application, you were likely not using a certified driver. Both Nvidia and AMD make a certified Maya driver. I haven't had any crashes or display bugs with Maya while using a certified driver, and I assume the same apply to Quadro. Maya 2014 certified driver for Quadro can be downloaded here.

The second thing I want to mention is GPU caching of animation in VP 2.0. This is one area where a professional graphics card is very usefull. I have been comparing my old gtx 460 to my Firepro on an animation I'm currently working on. With my gtx 460 the animation would play with around 4-5 fps in the viewport. With the Firepro I would get around 30 fps. So I will say that if you're an animator working in VP 2.0 a Quadro or Firepro is actually a very worthwhile investment. I will also just mention that this process will use a lot of graphics card memory. My graphics card will quickly be using more than 3 GB of the 4 GB memory it has while doing this.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread