CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Rhythm & Hues Taiwan studio to open by late March

Quote:
"Taipei, Feb. 27 (CNA) Rhythm & Hues Studios Inc. (R&H) will open its new facility in southern Taiwan by the end of March, even though its U.S. headquarters filed for court protection two weeks ago, a local executive said Wednesday.

Plans to open a new studio in Kaohsiung remain unaffected, despite reports that the award-winning visual effects company is facing financial difficulties, said Mike Yang, manager of Rhythm & Hues Studios Taiwan Co.

The two-story, 2,640 square-meter facility in Kaohsiung, now in the final stage of construction, will offer space to over 200 local and foreign artists and instructors over the next five years, Yang told CNA.

"

http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebN...ID=201302280002
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
PerryDS
Everything Creative

portfolio
Perry Shulak
Contractor, self-employed
Critical Fusion Inc
Edmonton, Canada

Send a message via MSN to PerryDS
Thumbs down

Given this statement ...

R&H, he added, is turning its focus to developing or expanding studios in Canada and Southeast Asian countries, which either provide seductive tax incentives or cheap labor.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Since they already had studios in India and Malaysia, perhaps that's why they didn't make a bigger deal of the US office's plight at the Oscars. It's hard to point fingers and blame off-shoring when you are actively already doing it yourself.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler

portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom

Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
hmm i see the makings of a backlash...

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
pipdixel
Frequenter

portfolio
JTK
USA

They gotta play by everyone's rules to stay around.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Perhaps this thread at the Newtek forums - particularly post #108 - will shed some light. Nothing is as clear as you think it is.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread...o-to-fold/page8

Old 03-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

This is old, pre-c11 news that due to the recent news coverage is getting re-hashed because someone saw a date set in March in there.

That facility ALREADY existed.
That facility was a services/computational centre, not a place for shots being turned around.
That facility ALREADY had seats, some of them filled.
That facility was NOT initiated around or after the bankruptcy.

The wording in the news makes it sound like R'n'H is trying to offset things to less costly options after they got in trouble, that isn't the case. This is something that was due to happen that date for a long while, since before some show delays plunged them neck deep into the crapper, that just happens to coincide.

This is something from Nov 2012:
http://www.rhythm.com/about/press/l...construction-r/
Ironically the facility was inaugurated by Ang Lee.

And this is from almost a year ago:
http://taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=191359&ctNode=413

East Grand Films was set up at the end of 2011, well over a year ago.

Roberto, if you have to incessantly post news such as this or the variety cyberattack crap, could you please make the effort of verifying things a little bit FIRST, please?
It's not ok, but not uncommon, for incompetent journalists to go for whatever and fan flames for the sake of a few hits, we are, however, a professional CG Website, and it's not good when we give them more visibility.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Thank you for clearing this up!

Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

For the record, I don't work for R&H, never had, and if I post something it's because I could find as much in public news or places.
IF it was accredited insider info, you wouldn't hear me speak about it, not so directly for sure

So my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt too.

In the case of R&H Taiwan afaik it was always supposed to be a three pronged thing, starting a VFX facility, starting a media/content/production group, and a service centre (cloud/farm services).

Those were all wheels set in motion a long (by IT and trends standards, at least) time ago.
Reason why I posted aggressively and resolutely here is that I am sick and tired of the relentless waves of shitstorm that are invading news and discussions everywhere.

While I'm glad as an industry we are receiving much needed attention, I dislike the terrible, malformed slant the public eye is developing of who we are and how we work, it's due to eventually do more harm than good.

While I accept and understand we can't control news channels, no matter how horribly wrong and maliciously after cheap scoops they are, I have absolutely no patience left for that (theirs) incompetence and sensationalism constantly finding its way into these forums.

I, possibly delusionally, still would like to think of this place as a more and better informed hub capable of taking its time in elaborating information, and offering better thought out and elaborated insights than links to variety or bad journalism by someone who clearly can't even use the ~year tag for news in google when writing an article.

That, is why I'm pissed

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
This is the press release from the the facility when construction started:
"
"Life of Pi" Director Ang Lee to Inaugurate Construction of Rhythm & Hues' New VFX Center in Kaohsiung City

KAOHSIUNG, TAIWAN, Nov. 9th, 2012 – Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ang Lee triumphantly returns to his homeland this week to host three Taiwanese premieres of his critically acclaimed film “Life of Pi,” before its release to the public November 21st by Fox Taiwan.

This Friday, November 9th, Lee is scheduled to hold a press conference to celebrate the beginning of construction of the VFX Center in Kaohsiung City, a new state-of-the-art digital production facility to be built by Rhythm & Hues Studios (“R&H”). The global visual effects and animation company helped to make Lee’s “Life of Pi” dream a reality.

The Mayor of Kaohsiung along with other senior government officials, lead actor Suraj Sharma, co-producer David Lee, Fox Taiwan representatives, and senior management of Rhythm & Hues are scheduled to participate in the event. Later in the day, Lee will screen the film in a local movie theatre for an audience of approximately one thousand, including students from local universities and the community.

"

http://www.rhythm.com/about/press/l...construction-r/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Three posts above yours, Rob, first link posted

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
LucentDreams
lover of gophers

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Kai Pedersen
Lighting Lead
Double Negative
Vancouver, Canada

To add to Jaco's notes, this was part of a preexisting things prior to Pi even, as the CAVE facility was setup and provided a huge amount of the render procs for Pi. The studio facility was already open this is simply the finishing of construction of the facility. The money involved is all previously invested there are no additional costs for Rhythm currently involved with this, the studios loaning the money certainly wouldn't allow that. Overall it's a good thing at the moment as it adds an asset for interested investor/purchasers.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread