Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #46
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DaveWortley
For the record I don't think Lab is a good name, far too generic!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #47
PiXeL_MoNKeY
Expert

Eric Craft
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWortley
For the record I don't think Lab is a good name, far too generic!
Personally for me it works. Think mad scientist working up some crazy invention, making something better, different, etc. Is that not what we will hopefully be doing with Lab?

-Eric

Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #48
Marsel Khadiyev
Coffee-to-Code Converter

Marsel Khadiyev
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY
Personally for me it works. Think mad scientist working up some crazy invention, making something better, different, etc. Is that not what we will hopefully be doing with Lab?

-Eric

This!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #49
Pjanssen
Veteran
portfolio
Pier Janssen
Göteborg, Sweden

The video on the library directory made me curious about one thing: is it possible to share scenes with cortex plugins with others who do not have the plugin? I assume that it isn't, but what about sharing plugins with others who do not have cortex, is that possible?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #50
Marsel Khadiyev
Coffee-to-Code Converter

Marsel Khadiyev
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjanssen
The video on the library directory made me curious about one thing: is it possible to share scenes with cortex plugins with others who do not have the plugin? I assume that it isn't, but what about sharing plugins with others who do not have cortex, is that possible?

Yes it is possible but whoever will use the Cortex-created plugin will need to install Coden:
https://ephere.com/plugins/coden/

Cortex uses it as the underlying framework to run its graphs inside Max as plugins.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #51
larex
Veteran
portfolio
Alexander Urik
Martin, Slovakia

Hello Marcel, it is possible to do everithing in max with lab like you can do in sdk or it is working "only" with geometry, modifiers, materials and controllers? What about force fields, particles, UI, etc.. Can you also use loops, it then else, functions etc..?
Thanks a lot

Last edited by larex : 10-14-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #52
Marsel Khadiyev
Coffee-to-Code Converter

Marsel Khadiyev
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by larex
Hello Marcel, it is possible to do everithing in max with lab like you can do in sdk or it is working "only" with geometry, modifiers, materials and controllers? What about force fields, particles, UI, etc..
Thanks a lot

For now the list of possible things is pretty narrow- polygon meshes, modifiers (poly mesh), controllers, and texmaps with poly meshes being our main focus thus far. The list will grow as we stabilize some things.

It is not meant to be a replacement for the SDK or MaxScript. It will always be a subset of it for pipeline plugin creation and UI will most likely be always auto-generated unless there are more ideas on that later.

The key is being able to create reusable pipeline plugins (which can be shared between users and potentially even hosts), not to extend 3dsmax UI and such.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #53
larex
Veteran
portfolio
Alexander Urik
Martin, Slovakia

What it missing in max is some proper procedural pipeline where you can for example proceduraly create objects and also modifiers and also acces all their parameters. Realy simple example: you want to create boxes in position on verticles of some plane a then you want to add twist modifiers where the texture color of verticles are black and twist it some way, and when texture is changing all system is working. I tryed to di it wit thinking particles but there you dont have acces for crerating modifiers of accesing them if you convert object to particle.

Also It will be cool if lab can also uses loops function raycast, which will realy extends max capability for artists.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #54
Marsel Khadiyev
Coffee-to-Code Converter

Marsel Khadiyev
Australia

Quote:
What it missing in max is some proper procedural pipeline where you can for example proceduraly create objects and also modifiers and also acces all their parameters. Realy simple example: you want to create boxes in position on verticles of some plane a then you want to add twist modifiers where the texture color of verticles are black and twist it some way, and when texture is changing all system is working. I tryed to di it wit thinking particles but there you dont have acces for crerating modifiers of accesing them if you convert object to particle.

Also It will be cool if lab can also uses loops function raycast, which will realy extends max capability for artists.

Yup, raycasting is a big one and definitely on the TODO. If you can explain in detail your ideas, I am always listening

Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #55
lo
the frequentest!
portfolio
Rotem Shiffman
Tel Aviv, Israel

Quote:

So basically, Houdini

Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #56
larex
Veteran
portfolio
Alexander Urik
Martin, Slovakia

My idea is something like in houdini, where you can acces all parameters of mesh, textures, etc and make them affect different parameters. And node based system is perfect for this. This is missing in max you must use scripting and this is realy not fast. If for example we have some object it will be perfect that we can acces in lab all its parametrres, like vertex id, vertex colour, vertex positions, vertex normals, modifiers parameters etc and we can link them as we want. For example we want to do some procedural animation of boxes (with twist modifier) which will be placed on verticles of sphere. So we link box to some clone node where we specified how many clones (or refferences we want) then we link it with vertex position of sphere aligh it with normal parameter and for example link twist modifiers of clone boxes with some expresiion with vertex color of spere. So when we animate texture the they are twisting depending of wertex colour. This is only fast example but the posibilities will be realy big. The main goal is to acces all parameters of objects, posibility of procedural cloning ,using if statements, loops etc..

Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #57
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread