Old 06-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

Sci Fi Environment WIP

Here's my latest portfolio piece. The concept was done by Cloud Quinot and can be seen here:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&type=3&theater

I am using 3ds Max. Here is the model and the early material and lighting directions I've tried out:

Any and all advice is welcome. I admit to considering the all-white render I started with as a viable direction but I'm not sure ... it would be a risk. I'm also wondering about how plain the material application should be. Right now the models have simple Mental Ray metal materials on them. I'm trying to get away from the typical game corridor look bit am not really sure how to best ornate the planes.

Last edited by ScottMichaelH : 06-18-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

Admittedly not a huge update but this is my attempt at making Mental Ray materials due the trick. Unless anyone has other ideas I'm thinking I may have to give in the unwrapping everything or at least projecting some tiles on to the plains. I don't want this to become a big texture project but I know I have some boring plains here.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Are you actually finished with the modelling at this point? It's not a good idea to start messing around with surfaces and lighting and stuff until you're totally happy with the model itself.

The design reminds me a lot of the Forerunner stuff in Halo.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Are you actually finished with the modelling at this point? It's not a good idea to start messing around with surfaces and lighting and stuff until you're totally happy with the model itself.

The design reminds me a lot of the Forerunner stuff in Halo.

As always Leigh you are one of the most helpful people around, thank you. I would say I was done with the modeling but am now questioning that decision. Maybe what I need to do is model more fine details. The problem I'm having is that sci-fi alien materials don't actually exist so I need to make decisions about the surfaces. I don't want it to look dirty and grimy but rather very clean. this makes it harder to define in an interesting way. I looked at the Forerunner imagery you mentioned and I see what you mean.

Perhaps I will go back to making more fine details to the model and this will provide the answers I'm looking for. Ultimately at the end of the day (from what I'm seeing) this type of thing doesn't have a lot of material definition but relies on fine modeling details:

https://waypointprod.blob.core.wind...0/25/ravine.jpg

Thanks for the push

Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Yeah the bevelling and extrusion details on those designs really help to flesh them out and make them feel more substantial, and you're right that a more detailed model can more easily get away with cleaner textures, although clean textures are always a little tricky when you're wanting realism (if indeed you are wanting this to be realistic?).

I'd say that you should go ahead and do a second pass over the modelling, adding in those kinds of additional details to your structures. Also see if you can gather more references of the kind of look you want your surfaces to have, as having a direct point of reference is the best way to start off your surfacing, as it gives you something specific to aim for, which means you waste less time. Keep looking through the Halo stuff, as the surfaces have always been pretty clean and would suit your scene.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...ic_Interior.png

http://halo.bungie.org/halobulletin...conceptart3.jpg

Using ambient occlusion would also help to enhance and define the shapes, plus the Halo stuff uses a lot of lighting strips along the structures which look pretty cool too. Those light strips also add additional detail to be reflected in the surfaces.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

I remodeled extra details all around the scene (It's now low poly). I'm still wandering about the upright "sticks" at the focal point of the composition. At this point I think it's not bad but creating a tangent that may or may not be fixed with lighting. I might model a significant amount more "bulk" to it, but I do like the weight contrast with it being much thinner than many of the side pieces. Also the bottoms are pointing right at the box-structure surrounding the ground cylinder.

Also I tried more detail on the floor and it bothered me. I think I'm feeling a cleaner floor to give contrast to the noisy walls.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

At this point I believe the model is finished (unless I feel like adding more cuts later for separate material placements). I posted a few quick paint overs I did to indicate some color ideas. I'm really leaning toward the pink on black one ... I just hope the model doesn't get lost in the darkness and shininess. I really don't feel like unwrapping this scene but am leaning toward a clean shine.

I'm not sure yet about that beam of color at the focal point. Also I never thought I would light the scene with such a strong colored light which brings up concerns about light source. I always thought the light was simply coming from whatever is beaming out of the device.

On last thing, I'm not sure but I'm thinking the lines of color might be best to do in post, but I may try splines with self-illumination.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

Above is a composite of the AO render, a dark and somewhat flat render, and a render with one Mr area omni light with GI. I posted the AO render itself below it.

Here I added a little bit of another render with a metal material. I added the metal render below it. I believe this helped a little to add more dimensionality and texture ... even though it's less realistic.

Overall this will definitely be a composited render made in Photoshop. The model needs to show forth while not flattening out the image. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use green or pink highlights ... that may depend on how light or dark the final scene is. I'm also not sure yet about how much variation there might be (if any between) objects and there value. I'm definitely leaning against color on the side objects themselves.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

Here are my latest attempt to finding the lighting of this image. Admittedly I am struggling to find the right artistic direction. I'm still leaning toward the pink on black. The concerns I have are mostly about not producing a flat image. Black is essentially gray reflection. In order for the model to be seen, it has to be "bright" enough. The main light turning pink did help. Also yes, I did throw some basic texture brush work on top of the render comp.

The bottom of the three may be the safer direction in terms of making the lighting work.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
ScottMichaelH
Learner

portfolio
Scott Honeycutt
looking for work
Akron,

A month or two ago I called this finished as a modeling portfolio piece. At the time I wasn't interested in too much texturing. I have decided now to go back in and seriously make this a worthy texturing piece to show I can paint and map as well. I didn't get much of a reaction or any views on the gallery for this one so it can still be pushed for sure.

My main question is simply to ask for advice as to how to get started. Do you think I should simply make tileable textures with a simple uv mapping collapsed, or should I unwrap the whole thing. I'm thinking unwrapping shouldn't be necessary for most of the shapes. I'm also considering going back to the more darker look but I'm not sure.

I also realize my lighting solution didn't work. Maybe if I put more defined textures in it will help make it simpler to light. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread