Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Frank Troglauer Jr.
Graphic Artist
Whirlwind Production, LLC
Loris, USA
Send a message via MSN to Serihon
Constrain Position of Object A to Scale of Object B

Good afternoon,

Is it possible to constrain the position of object A to scale of object B? Essentially I want to scale object B in a set axis based on the distance away object A is from it.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
isKindOf Artist
Vojtech Cada
3D generalist
Czech Republic
Send a message via ICQ to Swordslayer
Depends on what you actually want, for connecting the position to scale the most straightforward is to use wire parameters - assign ScaleXYZ controller to object B scale transform part, rightclick the object and in the quadmenu pick Wire Parameters. After choosing for example Transform > Scale > Z Scale a dialog will pop up where you can pick for example X Position controller of object A.

If you would rather want to use relative distance instead of absolute position on one axis, scripted controllers are another way:

( local objectA = Point pos:[-10,0,0] local objectB = Box pos:[10,0,0] objectB.scale.controller = ScaleXYZ() local ctrl = float_script() ctrl.addTarget #pos objectA[#transform][#position] ctrl.addObject #self (nodeTransformMonitor node:objectB) ctrl.setExpression "distance pos self.pos / 100" objectB.scale.controller.z_scale.controller = ctrl )
Blog :: LinkedIn profile
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Andrew Whitney
Try the Reaction Manager.
Renderfarm hire available @
Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
maziar rud
Western Sahara
To extract the distance between two objects(and ultimately using it in a wiring operation), you can use a helper object called 'Expose Transform', it returns a lot of parameters one of which is the distance between it and a referenced object, then you can of course use that value to derive the scale of the other object the way Swordslayer described...
Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Frank Troglauer Jr.
Graphic Artist
Whirlwind Production, LLC
Loris, USA
Send a message via MSN to Serihon
Many thanks for the great responses regarding my original post. They have all been helpful on my quest to find a solution for this project. I am sorry for my lack of response since the original post but I was away for three weeks doing various things but am back now. Once again thank you so much!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
Dejan Backovic
3D Generalist & Animator
Nis, Serbia
I think this can be useful to you too:

This guy is explaining the reaction manager in this clip, and I think he tied the scale of one object to the position of other as an example, as far as I can remember
Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread