CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
ihack
Veteran
 
ihack's Avatar
portfolio
gartst nicnam
3D Modeler
AvicVision
China
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 43
Send a message via MSN to ihack
Please help:3ds max gamma issue?

I'm baking textures in 3ds max 2013 with vray 2.3 on windows 7 ultimate 64bit workstation,the output texture saved by 3ds max is very dark,but if i save it manually from the output frame window,the image displays quite right.I adjust the gamma values in 3ds max preferences and the vray color mapping tab,but it doesn't work.If I bake all the objects and save their baked textures one by one by hand,it would be very horrible...hope for helps!Thanks in advance!
 
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
MisterS
seeking knowledge
 
MisterS's Avatar
portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 813
what are your gamma settings? Have you set output to 2.2?
 
Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
ihack
Veteran
 
ihack's Avatar
portfolio
gartst nicnam
3D Modeler
AvicVision
China
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 43
Send a message via MSN to ihack
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterS
what are your gamma settings? Have you set output to 2.2?

I tried to set the output gamma 1.0 and 2.2,neither of them work...
 
Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
MisterS
seeking knowledge
 
MisterS's Avatar
portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 813
Did you get this sorted in the end? I wasn't sure of the answer and didn't have time to look at it at the time. These settings are working for me:

3DS max gamma in/out set to 2.2 (or override your gamma when you hit save if using 1.0 output).
Disable the Vray Exposure Control
Assuming that you're using the latest Vray - under 'colour mapping', set the 'mode' to 'Colour mapping and Gamma' with 2.2gamma.
And finally, ensure that 'Apply Colour mapping' is enabled in the RTT dialogue (it is by default).

That should do the trick.

Last edited by MisterS : 08-07-2013 at 04:13 AM.
 
Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
ihack
Veteran
 
ihack's Avatar
portfolio
gartst nicnam
3D Modeler
AvicVision
China
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 43
Send a message via MSN to ihack
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterS
Did you get this sorted in the end? I wasn't sure of the answer and didn't have time to look at it at the time. These settings are working for me:

3DS max gamma in/out set to 2.2 (or override your gamma when you hit save if using 1.0 output).
Disable the Vray Exposure Control
Assuming that you're using the latest Vray - under 'colour mapping', set the 'mode' to 'Colour mapping and Gamma' with 2.2gamma.
And finally, ensure that 'Apply Colour mapping' is enabled in the RTT dialogue (it is by default).

That should do the trick.

Thank you very much...I'll try it later on……
 
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
japetus
3D Trickster
 
japetus's Avatar
portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,454
Nowadays, the way VRay and 3ds Max's gamma's are set up you shouldn't have to change the defaults. However I've also had problems with gamma issues while baking, seems like it hasn't been updated as well. My workaround was to have max save the baked files as .exr and then things turned out ok.
__________________
Personal: www.japetusproductions.com
Work:Straightface Studios

 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
ihack
Veteran
 
ihack's Avatar
portfolio
gartst nicnam
3D Modeler
AvicVision
China
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 43
Send a message via MSN to ihack
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by japetus
Nowadays, the way VRay and 3ds Max's gamma's are set up you shouldn't have to change the defaults. However I've also had problems with gamma issues while baking, seems like it hasn't been updated as well. My workaround was to have max save the baked files as .exr and then things turned out ok.

Thank you for the tips japetus,I'll try it and see how it goes...
 
Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,066,478
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.