CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Marcel Riedel
Berlin, Germany
Question Showreel Warner Bros. Content

Hey guys,
I am working on some vfx shots for an extended version of the 'harry potter and the healthy hallows' parts. It's for an italien harry potter fanpage. So they have no rights to sell them but they also won't. My job is it to edit some vfx in the deleted scenes you get from the original harry potter dvd. My worries now, if I can use these deleted scenes in my showreel. I mean I did 100% of the visual effects but have no rights of the footage. But I also won't use the footage for commercial use.

One thing it says after all clips:
' 2011 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Harry Potter Publishing Rights J.K.R. '

So, can I use it for my reel or do I have to be worry about?

Please help me out!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
CGSociety Staff
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
I'd actually say you probably shouldn't put that on your reel, as it could be seen as potentially misleading, in that someone might think that you're trying to make it look like you worked on the film, when you didn't.

I honestly don't know what the copyright side of this is, but as someone who did actually work on the Harry Potter films, I'd say that only those of us who actually worked on the films should get to use footage from the films on our reels. I guess that probably sounds selfish, but that's just my immediate feeling upon reading this.

What exactly are you adding into the footage?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
3D Trickster
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA
I'd assume Warner Bros. still owns the copyright so you adding effects into it doesn't really mean anything. That being said, no one can stop you from putting it on your showreel but you could have the Warner copyright and then say above it maybe "Effects added for fan video" or something to make clear you didn't work on the actual film. I'd assume Warners would still frown at this, but it's up to you to take the chance, you're already working on the job.
Work:Straightface Studios

Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
car unenthusiast
Will Earl
Grizzly Country, Canada
While it's fine to use this sort of stuff as practice footage for learning, copyright is pretty clear in this regard, it doesn't matter if your not making money off it or not - you don't have any rights to the footage.

But honestly I don't think you have too much to worry about Warner Brothers coming after you, I think Leigh's reasons for not including it are more on point - this is a small industry and people generally get pretty annoyed when they see other people take credit for their work.

So while this is footage from a deleted scene, some of those shots could have been worked on by one of the vfx studios involved before they were omitted.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
Part-Time Blenderite
Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
What if he's working over unused greenscreen B-Roll?

Not saying that would be an exception... but it would mean all VFX there is his work.
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Inva L
Of course you should use it. You probably spent more time then any other artist on that footage.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread