CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
CGS DSF 3569 75 mn "Night Terrors"

"Night Terrors"

NOTE: I am re-posting the topics on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/RobertoOrtiz_CG

You have 45 MN for your your sketch. IF you go beyond the assigned time limit , you have to post
* WHATEVER you have done after the time has expired, along with the FINAL drawing.
* You may post a drawing at ANY TIME, but if you wish to be eligible for the Sketch of the Week,
it must be finished at least a week after the topic has been posted.
* NEW RULE: You may Sketch in ANY MEDIUM, digital or traditional.
* You may also re-post a copy of your finished drawing a this forum:
Member SKETCH Collection
* Post only your FINAL piece on this thread, based on the topic on the thread.
* Only final pieces can be posted on the thread.
* They must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
* RESOLUTION : The image can have any aspect ratio up to 1024 x 1024.
NOTE: The forum WILL RESIZE your image. but you may post a direct link to a high resolution version of your drawing
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Sazem
Lord of the posts

Sampo Pesonen
Finland

Send a message via MSN to Sazem
26minutes, exact!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
DrPetter
Veteran

portfolio
Tomas Pettersson
Sweden

Wow! That red sheet looks like a perfect rendition of wax. Not that it's likely appropriate in this painting unless she's covered in molten candles or jelly, but you should remember how you did that if you want to make translucent materials!

The whole scene is pretty unsettling though. Good job with the composition and focus of attention.

Oh gosh, I'm so bogged down with coding again that I can't get around to do sketches. I want to finish some new features so they'll get comfortable to use, and as always the old version feels completely irrelevant as soon as new stuff begins working! I have quick concept roughs for two of the old themes... but nothing to post yet.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Sazem
Lord of the posts

Sampo Pesonen
Finland

Send a message via MSN to Sazem
hehe ok I will try to remember.

Can I ask what are you coding? I am thinking to make indie game in future and I should practice coding everyday too. But damn it seems hard sometimes. I went throu 3 courses of programming in my university and still I have no idea what im doing.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
DrPetter
Veteran

portfolio
Tomas Pettersson
Sweden

I'm making improvements to the painting app I've used through this whole DSF run, so at least it's relatively topical. It started working well quality- and performance-wise yesterday, so I should really start making some pictures now, but just... you know... gotta tune my multithreading a bit more, and undo is temporarily disabled, and I could do just these extra few things with the brushes, and... It never ends! I'll be damned if I can't make at least one image tonight though.

Here's a neak preview of some test strokes I used for performance evaluation recently: http://drpetter.se/dump/identicalvariation.jpg (same tablet input captured and replayed multiple times)

I wouldn't give much for programming courses. Not if you want to do artistically sensitive stuff like games. Sure there are some valuable algorithms and principles professors can teach you, but for simple games you rarely need more than super primitive obvious stuff. The kind you'll learn on your own if you're interested and adamant enough. It's all about ideas, content and an eye for detail when you're tweaking movement behavior and that kind of thing. I've always liked to learn by example. Find a tutorial or small demo program that has some elements you're interested in, then start modifying it to figure out how and why it works, and how you can abuse it to do weird stuff (and ideally figure out why those happen too!)

I have this simplified programming language I designed last year which would be really fun to put online for learning purposes since it's very immediate to work with, but I haven't gotten around to organizing a useful package yet. I guess you can contact me on PM or email if you want a test version to play with.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
DrPetter
Veteran

portfolio
Tomas Pettersson
Sweden

I guess I'm damned... No picture today. Spent all night writing a neat integrated video recording and presentation feature though, so I'll try to make a youtube clip of my next sketch.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
starylia
portfolio

Here's mine, 60mins

Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
DrPetter
Veteran

portfolio
Tomas Pettersson
Sweden

I made an abstract one for this. Just very loose sketching with bold colors. Maybe I could have filed it under "pink menace" too

Actually I had the presence of mind to do a recording, so you can watch the (brief) process on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R933R0A2fWA

It ended up very dark, as per the theme, so you'll probably want to see it in fullscreen mode. Not sure if the quality of the file will snap to a higher setting after a few hours, but it's pretty muddy right now. I know typically their encoding lags behind a bit.

(click for large)

reply share thread