Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
cineartist
Student Of The Craft

portfolio
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA

Softimage ICE/Maya Scale Issues?

I pretty much have the scale issue sorted with Maya. From my understanding based on a few threads, tutorials and my own tests to confirm, the Maya default scale internally is 1 unit = Centimeters.

I am thinking of using XSI now as an external app to Maya and MotionBuilder/Mudbox as my central animation texturing and rendering solution.

I think when considering the pipeline above, it is best to keep everything in Maya units and model to scale based on Centimeters. This is in effect what MotionBuilder seems to be scaled to by default. And Maya is internally tuned to this scale so modeling to scale makes sense and then Nucleus (which operates in 1 Meter) can be scaled back to fit using the Space Scale parameter.

However from working in Softimage, I have adopted this scale:

Quote:
Both the PhysX and ODE dynamics engines have been tuned so that 1 Softimage unit is equal to 10 cm.

This is consistent with he scale of the supplied rigs, meshes and default Biped Guide. And so all of my sets and characters have been modeled to this scale.

So now I am looking to go 10X from that in order to do some particles in XSI and port them to the new scale I am considering to adopt for Maya. I can scale my objects and sets of course but...

The question is... finally....

For anyone who has done this, are there any issues, showstoppers etc. in using a 10x scale with ICE? I mean as long as I keep the scale in mind with parameters will I be OK internally or will I wind up with any major issues down the road? Such as simulations wigging out or taking forever long with too many substeps etc.

I am looking mostly for warning signs. I'll be doing my own testing later, but for now I kind of want to settle on my scale for the project. So any advice on the ICE factor would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PS : I have also asked this question on an XSI forum. Thought I'd post it here as well to see if I can drum up any Maya users who also integrate XSI into the pipeline.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread