mayajunky
Addicted for life

portfolio
Brian Metzger
Advanced Product Engineer
Douglas Machine
Alexandria, USA

Rotating Orthographic Viewports in R14

Just a shoutout thanking Maxon for adding the functionality of rotating orthographic viewports! We always rig our machines down the Z-axis here, and being able to easily rotate the top orthographic camera to be able to render a top-down view which is in a horizontal format is going to be really handy!

Does anyone know if that rotation can be keyframed? I was digging into the coordinates for the linked camera of the viewport, in the view tab, but I always get the same rotation values displayed no matter what angle I rotate the view to.

Also I tried rotating the view 90degs and saving my layout, but when I reloaded the layout, it defaulted back to the original orientation. Anyone know how to define the top view always shows Z left to right across the screen initially?
EDIT: Oh I suppose that would be the template.c4d file holding that orientation information? although i tried that, and it still reverted back to default orientation.

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Last edited by mayajunky : 09-19-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
penboack
Penboack
portfolio
Charles Kirk
United Kingdom

Can't you just create a camera and set it up as a top view?

Switch to perspective view.
Create a camera.
In Object Manager LMB Click the camera;s activation button so that you are looking through it.
Set the Camera's R.P to -90, zero out P.X and P.Z, set R.Y to whatever (or change camera type to orthographic).
Animate R.H.
If you have set up an orthographic camera then you will need to rotate the object, as the camera is locked.

In terms of the Top, Front, and Right views I'm actually finding this a bit of a pain, largely because it seems to randomly choose between rotate and zoom.
Maybe it is because I'm continually switching between an Apple Trackpad and Intuos5 Touch.
No doubt I'll get used to it...

Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
mayajunky
Addicted for life

portfolio
Brian Metzger
Advanced Product Engineer
Douglas Machine
Alexandria, USA

Actually I was seeing in the "whats new" list you can rotate orthographic views now. I was trying to setup a preset scene with a different oriented top view so that I can just use the default camera without any unneeded extra clutter in my OM.

All my favorites ~ Cinema 4D R13, After Effects, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom, Photomatic

Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread