Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
goldenbrush
mike
portfolio
Goldenbrush
ben arous, Tunisia

Question Student Loan.....Help

I have been always interested in studying in the U.S and getting a job there. But the problem is (that I can't really afford the tuition and living expenses). I'm learning for now some packages such as Max, Zbrush with the help of some DVDs tutorials from gnomon workshop and digitaltutors to have maybe a good portfolio someday.

So, now I'm wondering if Is it possible for me to get a student loan and go study in the Academy Of Art (note that I'm living in Tunisia ).

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

You won't be eligable for U.S. government backed loans, but you can still get private loans directly from a bank (they'll have a far higher interest rate, though) and you might be able to get loans backed by your home countries government.

Also, while AAU has its strengths, it is decidedly not the best school for 3d in the United States.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
gawl126
Epic Failure
portfolio
Joseph Perenia
Senior TD / Shader Writer
San Jose, USA

Send a message via AIM to gawl126
You don't need to go to an art school. There are tons of cheaper (doesn't necessarily mean lower quality) alternatives in terms of public universities.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawl126
You don't need to go to an art school. There are tons of cheaper (doesn't necessarily mean lower quality) alternatives in terms of public universities.

Public universities aren't necessarily all that much cheaper if you're an out of state (or out of country) student.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
goldenbrush
mike
portfolio
Goldenbrush
ben arous, Tunisia

So is it possible for me to get an international student loan from a U.S bank ?

Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

If you have someone in the United States who can cosign for you, the process is pretty much the same as for an American student applying for a student loan. If you don't, it'll be a bit more difficult, and you should start researching and calling around as soon as possible. If possible, borrowing from an institution in your home country would probably be easier.

Last edited by Meloncov : 10-17-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
goldenbrush
mike
portfolio
Goldenbrush
ben arous, Tunisia

Unfortunately we don't have any school in the domain, that's why I'm looking to study elsewhere.
Is there any bank that can give loan without the need of a person living in the US ?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
KrzysztofFus
Frequenter
portfolio
Krzysztof Fus
Modeler/Character TD
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbrush
Unfortunately we don't have any school in the domain, that's why I'm looking to study elsewhere.
Is there any bank that can give loan without the need of a person living in the US ?

Thanks!

Your best bet is to use a bank from Tunisia to give you a student loan. Also, your best bet is to go the college in the UK. MUCH CHEAPER than the US.

You should also contact the Academy of Art admissions office and ask them about loans.

Last edited by KrzysztofFus : 10-17-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added Stuff

Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
goldenbrush
mike
portfolio
Goldenbrush
ben arous, Tunisia

Thank you all for the help, I think that I'm going to keep learning by myself , cause it seems very difficult to enter a school in Europe or in US .

Do you think that a good portfolio is sufficient to find a job in US or in Europe ?

Last edited by goldenbrush : 10-18-2010 at 06:37 PM.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbrush
Thank you all for the help, I think that I'm going to keep learning by myself , cause it seems very difficult to enter a school in Europe or in US .

Do you think that a good portfolio is sufficient to find a job in US or in Europe ?

Immigrating the the U.S., and most likely Europe, is far, far easier if you have a degree (though it doesn't necessarily have to be a degree in your career field).

Old 10-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
goldenbrush
mike
portfolio
Goldenbrush
ben arous, Tunisia

Is there any difference between getting the degree from AAU and an another school (much cheaper)?
Because if not I will start thinking to learn some strong basics by myself and then attend an another school which is of course more affordable.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
gandhics
Expert

Changsoo Eun
VFX Artist
FuseFX
USA

To wotk in US as alien, you have to have 4 year college degree that. It does not need to be from US school, it can be from your country.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
goldenbrush
mike
portfolio
Goldenbrush
ben arous, Tunisia

Wow, That's coooool ! (Thanks )

So I guess that I will start looking from now on for a cheap and good school.

Is there any suggestions ?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
pingkeat
Veteran
portfolio
lim ping keat ben
no
wp, MY

question

im still studying diploma 3d animation and will be graduate next year. but i intrest in visual effect and want to work at us or canada. do yu suggest i have to take a diploma course which is visual effect like Gnomon school or VFS?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread