CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CGChallenge XVIII - Spectacular - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 PM   #151
jbballaran
2d artist

portfolio
John Barry Ballaran
Philippines

Final Image: "RAIN"

SYMBOLISM/STORY:

In this battle that we call life, the enemy is equipped with armor and is trained to swing an 80 pound flanged mace on your head… Man must fight through the dark, muddy, rocky, and slippery plains of existence trusting only their own instincts… But running on instincts alone is not enough. The soldiers will not last the night… For the Demon Prince of Pride and Ego is the Champion of the opposition, and his power over men is absolute. Fortunately, Man also has their own Champion… They have the Woman. With her Charm, she provides light in the darkest places; with her Grace; she sends down a rain of inspiration that boosts willpower; and with her Strength, she provides a barrage of fury to those who dare stand in her way… She is the Pillar of Man… And she is Man’s only hope against the brutal realities of this world.

CONCEPT:

The concept started out with an idea that it might be cool to paint a woman, graceful clean, charming and all, amongst these dirty, big, strapping, heavily armored warriors in a savage battle of life and death. And I wanted it to look like the men are protecting the woman, but at the same time, the woman is also providing them power by blessing them with an enchanted rain spell, as well as, providing them cover from this huge monster twins representing pride and ego. I really think that pride and ego kinda limit man’s view on how to solve most of his problems in life. Most of us guys don’t admit it, but pride and ego really is a big thing for us, considering the stereotype roles we play in this world.

I made the men’s eyes glow to project the power that they’re getting from the woman. I chose rain as the visual symbol that boosts the men’s energy in the scene, as well as the main representation of this piece, coz there truly is something magical when it rains… To most countries, rain is important coz it makes their crops grow… To a soldier in a hot battlefield, it provides refreshment that seems to make his inventory lighter.

To every man in this world, the woman is the most important being in his life. To a child, it’s his mother; to a husband, it’s his wife; to a king, it’ his queen… This piece is dedicated to all women out there.Tnx to all those who visited and provided C&C’s to my thread! Glad to have met you guys even just through here. Thanks to the CG Society pips too for this opportunity. I learned a lot. Special thanks to my sis, aka Lyneran, for letting me hog her computer till I finished this piece and for letting me use her Wacom! Tnx Panet!

It was in the past… It is in the present… So shall it be in the future that women will continue to provide magic for men all over the world till the end of time… The Woman: A truly SPECTACULAR being!

Old 12-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #152
Mythmaker
Frequenter

Siravalenta
United Kingdom

I really like it! - Great style and idea - well done!

Old 12-07-2005, 12:16 AM   #153
jbballaran
2d artist

portfolio
John Barry Ballaran
Philippines

zpapageo: wazup man? we freekin' made it! hehe. I actually almost didnt make it. had to rush the damn strokes of rain... I aint too happy about it, but what else can you do right? Crappy is a lot better than no entry right? I'm still yet to check your final piece out. I'll be right there.

Mythmaker: hey man tnx for droppin by Glad you like my piece

Old 12-07-2005, 01:00 AM   #154
Steve-h
--------------

portfolio
Steve Holt
Illustrator
Seattle, USA

Congrats on finishing, you've got a great imagination.

~Steve H

Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 AM   #155
jugeras
sleeper

portfolio
joni raso
sfx artist
Singapore, Singapore

Send a message via ICQ to jugeras Send a message via MSN to jugeras
tol this ones for you - o gising k n b. congrats sa finish n tnx a ton for the support. pm m k email m.

kita kits...

Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 AM   #156
zpapageo
Frequenter

Zanne Papageorgantis
Newburgh, USA

Ahbeejieh, Congratulations, my man. You did an awesome job. The rain is an excellent touch. Now get some well-deserved rest.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 AM   #157
Arc80

WOOHOO you made it and it looks great Super nice story telling pre and i had fun watching every move (don't forget about the other piece, taposin mo rin yun. wanna see another masterpiece from you naman).

So kita ulit tayo next time, pero keep in touch narin pre. I have me email on me website and you can pm me as well.

Congrats and goodluck sa judging. Astig talaga ang mga noypiz

Ingat

Old 12-07-2005, 05:46 AM   #158
Korline
Lord of the posts

Jarek Sznytzer
Graphic Artist
Reno, USA

dude you've made it
this is a trip, just read your story, it's freaking awsome
good luck man
seeya around

Old 12-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #159
jbballaran
2d artist

portfolio
John Barry Ballaran
Philippines

Steve-h: tnx for droppin by! awesome feeling to part of this contest!

jugeras: woooohoooo pare ko! :P pm pm nalang!

zpapageo: tnx for all the support man! ill be seein you around! congrats on your spectacular piece too.

Arc80: tnx for the constant support dude. ill work on that piece i promised, abang abang nalang awesome work on your piece pare, pretty spectacular how you handled that last minute change!

Korline: we did it man! cant wait for the next one, how bout you? ill see you around.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #160
duddlebug
scribblin'n'colourin'in

portfolio
Jonny Duddle
illustrator and concept artist
duddlebug
Mold, United Kingdom

Congratulations on submitting on time!

The rain adds a great layer of texture across the image and it's got some great stylistic touches. The figures in the foreground are lit just right to make you look firstly at the background action. And the limited palette is just the ticket.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2005, 01:55 AM   #161
jbballaran
2d artist

portfolio
John Barry Ballaran
Philippines

Tnx duddlebug! Very technical in the way you're seeing my piece I'm glad it's got some of the technical stuff! Goodluck in the voting dude! ~peace!

Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #162
cok3
Wannabe
portfolio
Jose Cua
Concept Artist
Singapore

Send a message via MSN to cok3
dude this is just plain awesomeness. great story, great lookin monster, and love the atmosphere in the battle.

Last edited by cok3 : 03-23-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 AM   #163
penartist26
WEB ARTIST

portfolio
nards castro
Creative Director
Japan Famous Game Industry
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via AIM to penartist26 Send a message via MSN to penartist26 Send a message via Yahoo to penartist26
fantastic men!

portfolio : www.geocities.com/nardsdesign
favourite links : www.actionscript.org, www.ultrashock.com, www.javascript.com

Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 AM   #164
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread