Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
pwq

portfolio
pwq
Poland

SpacePilotPro - anyone using?

Hi, is any of you owner of SpacePilotPro 3D Connexion Mouse? Is it doing well in 3ds max, especially when you're modelling? I am considering buying one, but I'm afraid that after few days I stop using it and get back to standard keyboard under my left hand.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
okmijun
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zdravko Barisic
Architect
Belgrade, Serbia

I used to use it.
And sold it to friend of mine, as I couldnt push them to work properly.
After a year+, he told me, "oh, yeah, the spacepilot of yours, was actaully damaged!"
So, that made things clear.
Now, he is very satisfied, as he primarly doing modeling.
I switch to ROTATE + 4 ORTHO VIEWS, and that works fine for me.
You can not know before you try, BUT keep in mind, you'll have one device more in your head, and on your desk.
Maybe some integration with keyboard would be proper solution?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
vlad
Expert

Some like it, some dont. I'm in the latter camp. Never could come to terms with it. About once a year, I take it out of the bottom of the drawer, install the latest drivers, play with it for a while, uninstall the drivers, and put it back where it came from. Actually just did this before writing those lines. This time, it completely froze Autocad. I also find it a real pain to work with in Max with big archviz scenes, flying all over the place except where I want it to go, no matter how I tweak settings.

I much prefer my G700 gaming mouse with lots of programmable buttons where I assigned Max's Orbit function to a small button next to the RMB. I also have move, rotate, scale, snaps and other functions mapped to the mouse as well. Much more efficient and ergonomic for me as my left hand never leaves the keyboard to reach the 3D mouse.

But like I said, some people swear by it. My advice to you would be to buy the cheapest one first and see if you like the feel. I remember paying 50$ for a "student edition" of the Space Navigator 5-6 years ago. So it wasnt much of a loss and the reason I never wanted to sell it off to someone. Who knows, maybe someday they'll get the drivers figured out and I'll be able to use it...

reply share thread