Problem with this guy...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Unhappy Problem with this guy...

Hi all,
Itīs my first time in the forum. The reason is a problem with the image in my gallery. I received a mail that say:
We are sorry, but your recent art submission to the CGTalk Gallery has been declined...There could be a number of different reasons, but generally, images are rejected due to artistic or technical problems. We cannot provide you with a detailed critique, since we have hundreds of submissions to the Showcase Gallery to sort through.

Ok, the image it's not too bad, surely there are many things to change.

Someone can help me?

Last edited by catalista : 10 October 2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: misspelled

10 October 2012
Well first off, I can say the lighting doesn't make any sense.

The green light seems unmotivated, and the background nonsensical. Normally people get away with the lack of a body by placing the model on a pedestal, and framing it in the context that its a bust.

Some softer, more saturated light would help bring out the contours of the face.

Maybe PDK can chime in and help you a bit more on this...

-AJ

10 October 2012
some things:

-The anatomy needs work, especially around the neck/clavical area. search "sternocleidomastoid muscle". Also the way the bust ends at the chest looks lazy, why not just crop it out of the picture?

-Your colors make your model look like corpse. green and yellow are colors associated with rot/odor/death. Also the lips and eyes are too saturated pink. It looks like mascara and lipstick on a corpse.

-The background image doesn't make sense and is distracting. You want people to pay attention to your model so why take the viewer's attention away?
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by oAJo: Maybe PDK can chime in and help you a bit more on this...
-AJ

Ok,there is a lot of work here...
Sorry AJ, whatīs PDK?

10 October 2012
PDK is another member of the forums.

10 October 2012
I think many people have already made some very valid points.

I think the modeling/sculpting is of a very high quality already. Its the composition, lighting that is more lacking in my view

Only to add on.

I think the model is too symetric, especially obvious at the center of the face, particularly at the forehead, & the chin. Add a bit of asymetric should help a little.

I think many time, as 3D artist, we tend to focus on making the models, texturing etc, but making a compelling final artpiece is an afterthought in many case, & it shows in many of our 3D artists' works, myself included.

This is opposite to the workflow of a typical 2D artist, & traditional artwork in general, as the final image is in the mnd (or a concept sketch) before making his/her work.

there is nothing wrong, if our focus is on learning & making portfolio for say, potiential employers. But i think for 1 3D work to be judged as an artwork, that can stand alone as a artwork (think along the line as if your final image will desirable to be hang on a wall, or as a wallpaper on someone PC), it must process the general quality as an artwork, not just technical excellence.

I said all the above, as nowadays, to be accepted as a finished artwork in teh gallery, the image must considered an artpiece (not just a technical piece).

So here are my suggestion (subjective of course, so take it with a pinch of salt),

I think he projected a sence of calm, & for his eypression, i think the image will be stronger if teh camera is palce directly forward of his face (but have a little offset, just to break the symetric feel), & slightly below (so his nose point a little upwards). You can choose a softer more calm lightings, & background, & it is always a good idea to cover where the character ended (the bust). i propose maybe a monk like robe. No need to be too fancy. I think it will be must stronger.

Cheers. Thats all I have to say now, every other points have been mention by others.

11 November 2012
I was trying to learn the process to take this guy from Zbrush to maya...
The retopology for the basemesh:

The maps and the model were placed in Maya, I was trying to use vectro displacement and normal map but I canīt , something is wrong in my shader connection or render settings:
Material is the default, only interest me the vector displacement and the normal map:

Little help, please...

Last edited by catalista : 11 November 2012 at 09:41 AM.

11 November 2012
It's obvious you put a lot of time into the model, which makes me wonder why you made it so symetrical. It would have been so easy to jsut turn off symetric for a little while and get the left and right sides different to one another. Things like that attention to detail is what the judges look for, and they call it "technical excellence".

11 November 2012
Yes Dillster the problem is the same...I talking now about the problem to bring my zbrush model to maya...
Thanks anyway for the comment.

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread