STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Reviews: An Enterprising Film Sure To Energize Fans!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #106
I saw the film on opening night and thought it was really good. I thought the new Klingon designs were particularly brilliant and completely fits them as a badass race. I really hope we'll see more of them and the JJ Abrams and crew will flesh out their history and honor based society.

As for the movie itself......it's been analyzed over and over again so there isn't much more I can really add. I will say that while JJ Abrams has made Star Trek less cerebral, I think he's done a pretty good job with the franchise so far. He's breathed much needed life into a franchise that really wasn't growing.

I could see a new series being made from this version of Star Trek.
LinkedIn

Old 06 June 2013   #107
I just saw it and it was quite fun and enjoyable, perfect movie for the kids, but it certainly isn't Star Trek, it is some other universe.

Old 06 June 2013   #108
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: I just saw it and it was quite fun and enjoyable, perfect movie for the kids, but it certainly isn't Star Trek, it is some other universe.

I enjoyed it. It was better than Iron Man 3. I liked it enough to see it twice. I think there is enough of the Star Trek universe in there to still feel like Star Trek. As hard as it may be to believe, I actually found this battle with Khan more satisfying than THE WRATH OF KHAN. I know that, for many, THE WRATH OF KHAN is the holy grail of Star Trek movies, but it was never my favorite of the films with the original cast. Sure, it had some memorable moments, but I was disappointed that Kirk and Khan never actually meet face to face, and that you don't know if Khan saw Kirk get away safely or not just before the Genesis device went off.

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

I was also disappointed that Spock and Khan didn't go toe to toe in the original film. If anyone had any kind of chance at all against Khan, it would be Spock. It was good watching Khan and Spock trade blows in this film. Of course, I don't think they really needed Khan alive to revive Kirk. One of Khan's people should have the same type of genetically superior blood with the healing properties to save Kirk's life. Overall, a very enjoyable time at the movies.

Old 06 June 2013   #109
I didnt feel Spock was meant to be the type of character who gets into fist fights often. That's the reason for the nerve pinch and using telepathy.
Much like Yoda (before he became a midget ninja).

I like when Data took out a few Borg but Spock against Khan--maybe in the original series but not when he was in his 50s.
Its to the credit of the 82 film that the personalities of the actors was enough to generate suspense (with help from 23rd century ship view screens) without having them face to face.

Looking back on it I didnt like them saying Kirk had never faced death when he did in the show all the time (how many red shirts did he lose) not to mention a brother.

Old 06 June 2013   #110
Originally Posted by kelgy: I didnt feel Spock was meant to be the type of character who gets into fist fights often. That's the reason for the nerve pinch and using telepathy.
Much like Yoda (before he became a midget ninja).

I like when Data took out a few Borg but Spock against Khan--maybe in the original series but not when he was in his 50s.
Its to the credit of the 82 film that the personalities of the actors was enough to generate suspense (with help from 23rd century ship view screens) without having them face to face.

Well, Leonard Nimoy felt the same way about Spock being above hand to hand combat, and that's how the nerve pinch was born. Still, he did get into scraps from time to time. I like that he tried to use the nerve pinch in the battle with Khan, but it wasn't very effective. As far as Nimoy being too old, Vulcans live longer than humans, and Khan had also aged, but you do make a good point with the Yoda reference. THE WRATH OF KHAN is a good film, and I do love their first starship battle scene, but I felt they could have taken it a little further. I really wanted to see Khan screaming, "No!" as the Enterprise got away. I also wasn't a big fan of the bugs in the ears. LOL

Old 06 June 2013   #111
Originally Posted by webhead: I also wasn't a big fan of the bugs in the ears. LOL

Ha I loved the bugs in the ears.
I read years ago that Ken Ralston made them using tea strainers. I bought a tea strainer just to ponder how it was turned into a ceti alpha five creature.

Old 06 June 2013   #112
Hopefully, Khan wouldn't have sounded like Darth Vader if he screamed, "Nooooooo!" LOL

Old 01 January 2014   #113
Behind the Magic: Building the Future for "Star Trek Into Darkness"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_36xOkTZb0

i remember reading that ILM didnt model the 3d room behind windows but used s trick to fake a 3d looking room behind windows. i am wondering for building in the second or thrid row. close enough that you need something behind windows but far away that you dont need a 3d room.

would it be possible to have a fake 3d room behind windows with vray in 3ds max?

Old 01 January 2014   #114
Originally Posted by kelgy: Ha I loved the bugs in the ears.
I read years ago that Ken Ralston made them using tea strainers. I bought a tea strainer just to ponder how it was turned into a ceti alpha five creature.

Man, I'd never heard that, but it makes sense, as the armature would let the pincers snap, wouldn't it?

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS

Old 01 January 2014   #115
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread