A Drawing of a Posing Model.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
A Drawing of a Posing Model.

Hi,

She posed for a the group and gave me the best view.

I'm having trouble getting depth in to her pose.
It's I think due to legs.

How do I approach this?

Any other comments, critique is welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg real-draw.jpg (28.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg line-art.jpg (21.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg coloring.jpg (44.1 KB, 21 views)

Old 10 October 2013   #2
When you draw a figure, it's important to keep in mind the most basic perspective/orientation of the body parts. Try to always envision the body as basic geometric shapes like so (see attached image).

If you try to visualize the body parts as simple cylinders and blocks and spheres, you'll be able to maintain a coherent sense of orientation/perspective and then cater the details to accentuate that information.

BTW, her left shoulder socket seems to be placed too far from her body, almost dislocated.

Her right arm is supporting her body weight, and since it's foreshortened to be much shorter than the other arm, it has to be turning away from us, so get the orientation/perspective right, and you'll be able to create more accurate depth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coloring-robedit.jpg (59.4 KB, 12 views)

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Thank you for the reminders.

I'll keep in mind the basic shapes and forms.
That left shoulder indeed does look dislocated, I hadn't noticed.
And the right arm really should add more to the perspective.

R

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Something that always helped me while figure drawing is:

Draw what you see, not what you THINK you see.

So always look twice, draw once. Be like a sniper, "1 shot 1 kill".
This is a great way to explore the human form and learning to draw the human body.

While drawing you might want to try te reference the model against other stuff around her and with other bodypart of herself.

Her head fits 3 times in her arm and her arm stops next to her bottom, her shoulder just end on the hight of her chin. This way you can make little markers before you start drawing, i usually use a feight line.

Hope this helps a bit. Keep it up, it's a great skill to practice.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Hi Ewoud,

Yes I know of proportions and several techniques.
Sometimes I do not consciously apply them, which I should.

R

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Hi Doremy

I'm pretty new here, and I'm trying to break out of my shell. Lunatique's mention of the arms issue with foreshortening is the exact issue I think you may be having with your legs. You mentioned specifically your struggle with the legs, so I thought I'd give you my opinion--hope it helps? The way her weight falls on the right hip (secondary to the weight on her right hand), and her legs are curled beneath her and to the side gives more issue with the perspective and specifically the foreshortening of her thighs...

Breaking the figure down into shapes and making those little marks of proportion etc are all wise advice--and paying attention to light and value, not just the shape, is helpful for me personally. I know I need to practice what I preach--the issue you're having with the legs and perspective is one I encounter a lot! Good luck

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Hi there

Shoot away I would say, there is always something there for me to use.
I see what you mean. I will try and apply this to better the drawing.

R

Old 10 October 2013   #8
D'oh, the couple bits I was going to point were already addressed.

I like the general feel of the drawing, but I think you could work a bit more on the hands and feet.

Hands in particular are very important since they are probably the most expressive part of our bodies - after the face ).

Hands can convey so much emotion they can greatly enrich your artpiece.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Thank you Eliseu.

I want to know what you all see which I do not. The more is shown to me the better I can see what needs be done. Thanks.

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread