Help with new PC workstation(cca 4500$)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Help with new PC workstation(cca 4000$)

Hello guys,
I would like to ask you for a little help with choosing the right components for my planned new PC workstation.
Because I'm running now on cca 6 years old PC setup (Intel Q6600, 6GB RAM, nVidia 480), I've been thinking now about upgrade almost for a year now, but I'm still trying to hold myself back and wait, what new technologies will bring :-) (like Haswell-E 8C or DDR 4 RAM)
But the will for nice new powerfull PC grows every day, so I started to look on current availabe parts and started putting together some nice setup.

I'm planning to do mainly 3D stuff on this PC (Maya, 3DS Max, Zbrush) with an accent to rendering performace. Also plenty of video editing/composing (After Effects or Nuke) and of course 2D/photo editing in Photoshop.

I've spended lot of time going through available components and this is, what I've got so far:
ASUS P9X79 PRO - Intel X79
Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy - Bridge
64 GB RAM - 2 pieces of Kingston HyperX LoVo 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 XMP
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual SC w/ ACX Cooler 4GB
OCZ Vertex 450 - 512GB for OS and programs
Seasonic SS-760XP2 F3 Platinum 760W
Fractal DEFINE R4 case
Corsair H110 CPU cooler
and some nice quiet fans
Windows 8 Pro OS
APC Smart-UPS C 1500VA

Because this setup now already costs about 4700 USD (actualy 4000 without UPS unit), I would like to ask you about your opinion about this setup. With price, I'm affraid, I can't do much, because despite I've compared several shops in my area, diferences in price were minimal. But is this price worth the power of this setup?

I've been recently also checking current AMD CPUs and find, that new FX series can audaciously compete with current i5 / i7 with usually half price tags.. only the power consuption is big disadvantage, and because I'm planning to render a lot, stills and animations, power consuption is really significant attribute...

Also the x79 chipset is fairly old (but only one, which allows to use 64GB RAM for current Intel non-Xeon architectures), ASUS P9X79 PRO motherboard is now almost 2 years old, which doesn't make me feel confident about this setup neither.

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 should be a nice high-end still for good price in my opinion, lots of CUDA cores in Kepler architecture with nice 4GB VRAM for big textures in viewports, but maybe the power consuption is too high for me as well (System IDLE = 120 W GPU in FULL Stress = 310 W )

I'm still thinking also about next-year Haswell - E architecture, finally with 8 cores and , unfortunately, new socket = new mother board. Also DDR4 memory is on its way, which makes me wonder, how the performance will improve to the curent DDR3.

It's simply so many questions about this setup, I will really appreciate your comments and recommendations. :-)

Last edited by TorchManTM : 10 October 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread