Joint Orient and placing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 02 February 2014   #1
Joint Orient and placing

Hi folks

I have some questions about rigging:

1. Is there a difference between
A) Rotating a joint, making freeze transform and Orient Joing
and
B) Using the Joint Orient X Y Z in the Attr Editor ?
I read in many tutorials that this is the method I should use but is there a difference?
2. Does the new maya function Auto Join Orient in the Move Tools allow me to use more
comfortable the translation of the joints? I read about the limitations about how should I place
the joints and I am really confused about that.
What can I use to move them (translate, rotate, freeze transform, joint orient ??).

Cheers,
Lucas

Old 03 March 2014   #2
If you use the AE to edit the joint orient values that is totally fine and the same as "freezing" the tranformation(rotation) of your joint. YOu can make the joint Orient attributes appear in the channel box by using the channel control UI in the channel box. This may be easier to see and edit the values of your joints. Regarding the Auto-Orient option of your Move Tool I would use it cautiously, because it may not do teh auto-magic you want, so always check the results. I recommand turning on local transform ( Display>Transform Display> Local Rotation Axis) to see how your joints are oriented. Sometimes translating your joints is necessary, sometimes rotating a joints parent will get your where you want. It usually depends if you need/want your joints to point at each other. For some this is necessary ( elbow/knee ) for others it is not necesarrily ( i.e. face ). There is also a joint orient UI you can check out to see if it helps you. This is orienting joints in a nutshell, I hope you got a little bit of info out of this...

reply share thread