Realistic woman hand, Eugenio Miolo (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Realistic woman hand, Eugenio Miolo (3D)

Title: Realistic woman hand
Name: Eugenio Miolo
Software: 3ds max, VRay, ZBrush

This piece was more a technical than an artistic challenge. I had to do it at work, don't ask me why they did not took photographs though, I don't know. Honestly I didn't bother because it was a really welcome and needed exercise to me. It's not perfect but I think it's a good shot as I never did something on these lines before.

Anyways comments and critics are welcome...

Regards,
Eugenio

Higher resolution images:
Image1
Image2

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Very Realistic, great job

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Excellent!

Very good use of lighting, materials, and all around final output. I'm curious, could you describe the shaders/materials you used within v-ray. My only critique is maybe the crease on the outer portion of the palm is a bit harsh where it meets the forearm. Other than that, really good work!

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Great job ...

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thanks a lot for the kind works guys!

Originally Posted by BryanWalther: Very good use of lighting, materials, and all around final output. I'm curious, could you describe the shaders/materials you used within v-ray. My only critique is maybe the crease on the outer portion of the palm is a bit harsh where it meets the forearm. Other than that, really good work!
Thanks! You're right. I overdid the bottom of the palm. About the materials, well, that's actually interesting. Not much secret really, but I've learned quite a bit in the process. First that "reading" the SSS from photo references can be pretty hard for a few reasons. The hand is not like the face, where there is the ear, nose or around the eyes and mouth, where the SSS is pronounced and more apparent. The hand is more or less uniform in density and most references I found the illumination was rather diffuse, making things even harder. So at first I felt lost at the depth of the SSS to set. I started playing just with the SSS2 shader and raw colors and a single light, trying to find the "right" depth for SSS. One thing to note about the SSS2 is that it really shines if you have micro details on the surface, because it greatly captures those. But for that to happen you have to set the prepass to at least 0 or, 1. That was the only way I could get a nice effect around the nails. I've always heard from people who used the shader on very realistic images that they barely changed the settings. What surprised me was that after applying the texture, I had to increase the SSS radius quite substantially, from 0.3 to 0.8 in radius, almost the default 1. Not quite a surprise as the model is in the right scale and all that. But without texture, just the raw shader with plain colors, it looked like way too much SSS. So in the end it's just a simple light setup with a neutral main key light, a warmer fill on the left, and one cold rim on the right, with SSS2 with the pink skin preset almost at default settings, mapped SSS color with my texture and changed the deep color a bit, and that's it.

Here's a few images of the raw model from Zbrush...(Note: Click on the images to see at full resolution!)

Old 11 November 2012   #6
good work ! is it rigged for pose change ?

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread