B movie in demo reel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Including B movie material in demo reel.

Hello,
Most of my professional modeling work is involved in B movies. Should I include these works on my reel? Or just make a reel with with my own models. I really want to do higher caliber work and know that I can, given the opportunity. I'm afraid the studios will not take me serious with my work history. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Last edited by artbybath : 10 October 2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: title is not clear

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Nobody will care about the quality of the movies you modeled for, just the quality of the models themselves.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
standalone

how bad was it used in the movie to a point you actually have to ask this question?

if it pretty bad, then i suggest you just show a fast clip of it, and then a turntable of the model itself (if agreement allow you to do that). i've seen a lot of reel that does this (eg: cg car on a road) and then the turntable close up of the car itself.

at least people know:
a) the quality of the model
b) the fact that the model was used in a commercial project

as per poster above, nobody care if it B movie. If you freelance, you just accept whatever job that put food on the table. So they understand this, even if they hate some B movie maker that kept making legal clones of popular movie

Old 10 October 2012   #4
I would assume that the subject matter matters less than the technical skill and final shot.

A well executed shot of Mega Shark eating the Titanic would sit just as well as an equally technically proficient shot of the Matrix end battle scene.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
I see what you guys are saying but if the film was really cheaply made, they gave no time for models, materials were poor etc the work on show might not reflect what he is capable of and give a bad impression of his skill level.

Personally I think If the work is up to par or approaching the level of your personal stuff keep it there otherwise just let it go and make something better.

Last edited by conbom : 10 October 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
If it looks bad, don't use it. Simple as that!

Old 10 October 2012   #7
You could try 2 things:

1. Show turntable model rotating 360 degrees for a few seconds, then the B-Movie shot it was used in.

or

2. Do a split-screen demo reel. Turntable model rotating in the left half. Movie clip with model playing on the right. (i.e. Side by Side/ Top and Bottom or Picture-in-Picture split reel).

If you are putting your reel online, a 2 x wider video with turntable left, movieclip right probably won't hurt?

The fact that you worked on B-Movies shouldn't hurt as long as the work looks decent.

VFX is VFX, whether you did it for Avatar, or a cheapo B-flick I think...

Good luck!

Old 10 October 2012   #8
If your work in the movies looks good, I say submit a few seconds of it along with your models.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Originally Posted by conbom: I see what you guys are saying but if the film was really cheaply made, they gave no time for models, materials were poor etc the work on show might not reflect what he is capable of and give a bad impression of his skill level.

Personally I think If the work is up to par or approaching the level of your personal stuff keep it there otherwise just let it go and make something better.

Yea I did around ninety percent of the modeling and sculpting in Pirahnaconda, from the creature to digital doubles and props. I think the studio, did pretty good for the budget and time frame they had. I might be a little biased, but I think it has some of the better vfx for these lower budget creature movies.

I've decided to put a few shots that hopefully show off my skill sets. Thanks everybody!

Old 10 October 2012   #10
For some reason I was assuming you were a traditional model maker, I quite like the Pirahnaconda snake

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Everybody works on bad shows from time to time. All that matters is that your stuff looks good.

Most VFX-centric movies are garbage anyhow, even the two-hundred-million dollar ones.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by conbom: For some reason I was assuming you were a traditional model maker, I quite like the Pirahnaconda snake

I was sculpting with clay for awhile, but since I've had kids it's pretty much all digital now. The head started out as a physical model, but it went through a few studios until it got to the one I was working with. Lol, I pretty much had to sculpt the snake off reference from a sketch done by the producer...

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Originally Posted by balistic: Everybody works on bad shows from time to time. All that matters is that your stuff looks good.

Most VFX-centric movies are garbage anyhow, even the two-hundred-million dollar ones.

Yea I just want to be a part of a higher budget movie Mostly, to improve my resume.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread