Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
sidArtz
portfolio
Sidney Thibault
Character artist
Traveler's Tales
Macclesfield, United Kingdom

Kitchen model

This is a simple model done in my spare time using Autodesk Maya, mental ray, photoshop.
I don't usually model architecture but I wanted to do something out of my comfort zone. Hope you like it. Fire the critiques away.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
gdfelts
portfolio
Graham Felts
Student
Pixel Blue College
Edmonton, Canada

Looks Great.

Hi there,

I really liked your picture. Really nice modelling. The reflections on the hardwood floor look really good. The vase could use more reflections and shadows. Just the way it is now it looks 2D, unless it is 2D? I like the bottle of wine; great translucency. The object next to the wine bottle (looks like a plate) could use more shadow blur and also the colour looks almost pure black; It just looks a little too intense so maybe toning down the colour? The specularity on the fridge looks a little too wide; maybe toning it down would give it less glare.

I really like your textures. I had to look for a bit at the stove and the fridge to notice that they weren't modelled. Very good.

I think you captured the scene very nicely with the lighting. Can I ask what lights you used and for what purpose? I ask not only for curiosity, but, also I'm trying to problem solve a scene I did a few days ago.

Again, very good job.

Graham

Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

I find this very hard to find fault with, it's really good work. The only suggestion I have is to add a bit of colour saturation to the flowers to make them pop.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
sidArtz
portfolio
Sidney Thibault
Character artist
Traveler's Tales
Macclesfield, United Kingdom

I'd like to thank you both for the great comments.
@ gdfelts
Quote:
The vase could use more reflections and shadows. Just the way it is now it looks 2D, unless it is 2D?

The vase is 3d, I've had a bit of trouble getting the shader look right as it was either too transparent and very shiny or the opposite as we see it now. I'm using mia materials in mental ray with a glass preset, I'll carry on tweaking.
A lot of the other things you mentioned I thought myself and I will be addressing them, like the fridge which I might maybe end up modelling the interior not sure yet.

For the lights I just used point lights with ies light profiles to get an accurate lighting info. Hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
jonnyseymour
portfolio
jonny seymour
bucks, United Kingdom

Hey, this does look great as others have said, what i would look at is as said above how 2D some objects look/feel. For me its mainly the Oven, taps, vase and chairs at the front.

I feel once these are sorted this image will look great.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread