CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
WraithGlade
portfolio
Jesse Bollinger
Ashburn, USA

Question Can't remember animation genre name... (Google is not helping)

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find information, resources, and animations for a particular style or genre of CG animation but I'm having trouble finding it.

In a class I took once, a fellow student was watching a video of this type of animation and I think he mentioned the genre name, but I can't remember it.

I'll try to describe what it is and see if any of you recognize it:

The type of animation I'm thinking of is animation with lots of emphasis on motion, shapes, morphing effects, and special effects. It generally contains very little or no characters in it. Its focus is on creating brilliant works of motion and special effects, often dealing with "abstract" shapes that are freely distorted or transformed in a variety of ways. The animations often have no plot. The animations often have an elegant aesthetic that serves to further draw focus to transformations of geometry, rather than to trying to tell a story with characters as most other animation genres try to. The animations are often very lively. Some of them use lots of physics. Some of them apply many arbitrary mathematical effects to achieve very complicated motions, or work on a massive scale that would be very difficult to animate manually. It's a type of animation that tends to be more programming heavy and often requires technical skills in coding the animations directly, especially with respect to the highly advanced forms of motion and transformations that are applied.

I thought the genre was maybe simply called "motion", but my searches for it have been unsuccessful. I've tried a bunch of search terms on Google but I can't find any links to any real sources of information or repositories of videos for this genre of CG animation.

Do you know what I'm talking about?

Also, could somebody point me to some particularly good, historically significant, or interesting examples?

I'd like to look at some animations from this field and perhaps draw some inspiration from them and do some of my own, but I can't find any resources for it...

(Thank you for reading and for your time.)

Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread