Blikkie
Frequenter
portfolio
Remco van Bree
Content ingestion coordinator
joost.com
Voorburg, Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Blikkie
I am terribly sorry, shouldn't have followed my impulses. This forum deserves better manners.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #62
Terro
Digital Environmentalist

portfolio
Greg Kaperski
Animator/Director
8bitstrange.com
Prospect Heights, USA

EDIT: I goofed , not sure how my post eneded up here.

Last edited by Terro : 07-15-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Old 07-16-2005, 09:13 PM   #63
new2LW
Veteran
portfolio
Eric Williams
Loves Park, USA

There are quite a few videos on painting, under skinning and painting sections here:

http://www.planetquake.com/polycoun...-tut-list.shtml

[edit] I think most of them are time lapse, no audio.

Critique my stuff, please :)
red swordswoman
orc backflip thread

Last edited by new2LW : 07-16-2005 at 09:18 PM.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #64
heythatreallyhurts
Veteran

Ryan Cole
Student
Savannah, Georgia, USA

Send a message via AIM to heythatreallyhurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthorp
Thought I would add my 2 cents worth. First, the term "good" at drawing and painting is pretty relative. My guess is that most of us mean we can replecate nature with a particular medium, whether traditional or digital. Beyond what makes a great image, (concept, composition, etc.) the secret I believe is a thourough understanding of light, and structure, value and edges). Ad into that the expressive manipulation of the chosen medium and you will have great art. Of course it is one thing to verbalize it, quite another to do it.

I'm not sure if you were talking to me specifically or were prompted by my saying I'm already "good" at drawing the old-fashioned way, but what I actually meant was a bit more than that. I've been focusing on art since childhood, all the way through school and into college, but with traditional media. The problem is that I'm getting frustrated with the programs themselves, because they all have so many different menus and tools and I find myself being reduced to going through each one, looking for the one I want (since I have absolutely no idea what most of the terms mean). The actual drawing and painting parts I'm pretty okay with (at least at a level where I'm satisfied with my progress), but I'm having the hardest time with all the idiosyncrasies of the digital medium. I usually end up trying to paint in PS or Painter as I would on an actual canvas not using any of the major features of the programs just because I can't get comfortable with all the different stuff each program has.

Great paintings, by the way! That's much like the style I'd like to achieve. I think Craig Mullins' work is interesting, and he's definitely amazing at what he does, but that's not what I'm shooting for. I just want to be as competent digitally as I am in real life, enough to work professionally.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:10 PM   #65
Seratogui
Veteran
Bob
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancis
I think there's online classes for Painter here:

http://tutoralley.com/

you can't register, seems pretty elitist that site.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #66
theCloudmover
Sleep? What is that?

portfolio
Mark Evans
Freelance Illustrator
USA

If you're interested in Painting with Photoshop pick up -

Illustrations with Photoshop : A Designer's Notebook

I think, the choice of artists in the book cover a wide range of styles and possible techniques. It also has a tutorial by Sparth! One of these artists might emulate your workflow and help you discover some new possibilities.

Photoshop is such a powerful program that RTFM and learning the basics of drawing and painting isn't enough. I think one needs to see how others use it's vast array of features to comprehend what can be done with it.

The Gnomon DVDs and as been mentioned, the Don Seegmiller book Digital Character Design and Painting: The Photoshop CS Edition might also be helpful. Without the Seegmiller book I would NEVER have thought to use the healing brush as a blender.

Hope that helps.

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 07-19-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #67
jfrancis
Know-it-All
portfolio
Joseph Francis
VFX Supervisor
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seratogui
you can't register, seems pretty elitist that site.

I thought it was open these days.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #68
XistinaX
Kar Krazy

Kristina Biane
Freelance Illustrator/Graphic Design
Central Coast of CA, USA

Send a message via AIM to XistinaX
great thread

First post-- and I have to say, great thread!

As someone who usually just 'airbrushes' her lineart of misc. vehicles, this thread has given me the 'guts' to finally try some hardcore artwork in PS. Move out of my comfort zone, you could say. I want to create art now.... not just illustrate (if that makes any sense)

Photoshop is a deep, deep program. Along with automotive illustration, I use it for layout of print work (I'm also a graphic designer), I can do spot channel separations for t-shirts (all the way to saving each channel as a halftoned, bitmap .tif, ready for film), or a silly filtered-to-the-max 'chop of a friend's car.

Practice, practice, practice...

Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #69
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread