Trainstation, Anton Persson & Nicholas Cort (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Trainstation, Anton Persson & Nicholas Cort (3D)

Title: Trainstation
Name: Anton Persson & Nicholas Cort
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop

This is an image made for a thesis myself and fellow cgtalk member PAnick has made. The idea was to take an existing drawing and analyse to what degree the image could be reproduced using 3d.

In our case we chose the follwoing comic book cover by Enki Bilal:

(Please note that this is not the exact image we reproduced, the original we used can be found in Enki Bilal's cover book L'Etat des Stocks 1999 on page 51)

The process started with an exact reproduction of the original image, which you can view here:

(Everything in this image except the smoke is made in 3ds max 7)

The next step was to expand on both the concept and scenery of the original image. That result is the image you see above. Our goal was to create new objects which seamlessly fit into the whole world Bilal created in the original image, while using 3d-elements like specular highlights to make the image more interesting visually. Hopefully a casual observer viewing both the Bilal original and our recreation of it won't realise it has been made by separate artists.

Please view the high resultion image below since the low resolution doesn't do it justice.

>> Hi resolution image <<

08 August 2005
fantastic comic book style! love the train and the pose of the people waiting.

08 August 2005
very very cool. I think it is a good 3d representation and your team should be proud.

08 August 2005
Thumbs up

wow! i love the look of it. nice render, awsome detail, overall great job!

08 August 2005
This is awesome. Nice job! I love contrast of the flowing organic shapes of the train vs. the blocky concrete structural elements. And as far as recreating that distinct feel and style in the 3d rendering: woah.

08 August 2005
Interesting.

The small pictures dont work.

08 August 2005
nice job, looks very close to bilal's art work! yhe only thing are the buildings, the main texture is great, but you could put mode details on them, like windows and signs. But congratulations!, i also used some Enki Bilal's concept in one of my 3d characters

cheers!

08 August 2005
great render! Very interesting look! I agree with the lack of detail in the building, would look amazing if they had a bit more detail.4 stars from me!

08 August 2005
Great work!

I like idea and atmosphere, render is fantastic, looks like 2D.
Keep it

08 August 2005
Thumbs up

I like the Graphic and the style ...

08 August 2005
*/me takes is book L'Etat des Stock and goes to page 51*

Wow! You're damn close to the original. And the smoke over the train is even more Bilal-like than the original, more reminicent of his latest works. Only a few elements reminds us it's 3d and not 2d (like the wheels). I like how you expended the original to created a new piece. Great composition.
4 stars from me.
Cheers.
-IS-

08 August 2005
Thanks for all your comments and critique, we really appreciate it!

Here is Enki Bilals original again (new hosting):

And here is our recreation of it:

08 August 2005
Hey

Hello all

Glad you guys liked it. I'm the second guy in this project and the one who textured it all, plus drew the smoke in postprocess. It was a nice experience to try and adopt Bilal's texturing/painting technique. It was challanging, but I'm happy with the result.

08 August 2005
I like the style !

08 August 2005
Wink

i like a lot this remember me the moebius style also. Five star from me.

Could you explain how did you achive this cartoon look and the material settings for max?
I would like to do something similar with my favorite comics.

You rocks!
YEAH!

Thread Closed share thread