Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
Jmantastic
Scout
portfolio
Kevin
Alhambra, USA

Parallel Edges

I have a really stupid question. If I have a polycube with an edge loop in it, and I move one of the faces up, how can I move the vertices in the middle so that the edges are parallel to each other. I don't know an easy way to do this for some reason. I've been getting by, by just using 'v' and making the vertices parallel to axis, then rotating it. Let me know if anyone knows a tool to achieve this. Thanks for the help! I can provide a picture if this doesn't make sense.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Do you want to slide the edges together? if so there is a slide edges tool under edit mesh.

If you are moving just one face somewhere and want to move every edge in the loop up to where the moved edge is just select the loop and deselect the eddge you moved and then slide the rest up.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
caro
Expert
portfolio
Karol Wlodarczyk
Modeling/Texturing/Lookdev
Mr. X Inc
Toronto, Canada

Send a message via MSN to caro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmantastic
I have a really stupid question. If I have a polycube with an edge loop in it, and I move one of the faces up, how can I move the vertices in the middle so that the edges are parallel to each other. I don't know an easy way to do this for some reason. I've been getting by, by just using 'v' and making the vertices parallel to axis, then rotating it. Let me know if anyone knows a tool to achieve this. Thanks for the help! I can provide a picture if this doesn't make sense.

I "think" I understand what you mean
Double click "move tool' Icon on your toolbar to open up settings for the tool. IN "Move Settings" there is bunch of move axis settings. The one you are looking for is "Set to edge". Hit that button and then select an edge you'd like to align your move axis to. That should do. Faster way of getting to the settings is to pres and hold "w" (move) click and hold left mouse button anywhere in viewport, move cursor to "axis" submenu and select "set to edge" over there.

Other way is to select a vert, pres and hold "c" (snap to curve/edge) and move the vert along an edge by using middle mouse button.

There is also mentioned before "slide edge".

And most underrated tool "transform component". Quite powerful when fully understood.

There is also selecting a vert, setting its pivot at one of the ends of an edge ("d" for pivot, "v" for snaping to an edge end) and scaling it down or up. Quite crazy but if comfortable with maya sticky keys can be surprisingly quick.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Jmantastic
Scout
portfolio
Kevin
Alhambra, USA

Wow those were some nifty little tricks. I would've never thought to change pivots and scale. Thanks for all the help guys, a combination of all those tools worked perfectly!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread