CINEMA 4D R19 SP2 with support for Metal 2 on Macs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
I tried to use prorender twice which ended up in 2 crashes + C4D freeze. 2 bug reports filed with no response back from Maxon so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong besides having Macs with Nvidea cards... Means I won't be touching it anymore. 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: Opened the coffee bean test file in the content browser.
Started prorender--started rendering after about 30 seconds or so.

Went into prefs and turned on Metal in the prorender prefs and restarted cinema.

Opened the coffee beans file again and started prorender.
First time, I got a beach ball for several minutes while compiling shaders.
I noticed in the dock it said that c4d was inactive so force quit and tried again.

2nd time, C4D crashed out on me after the shader compilation stage and when prorender said it was starting to render.

Using an 8 core mac trashcan with dual AMD 700 firepros

There 's currently a bug in the Metal driver on that specific hardware, that (depending on the scene content) can crash Metal; the bug is already filed @Apple. Please switch to OpenCL on the 2013 MacPro for now. You still get a significant ProRender speedup in SP2 compared to R19.024 (albeit not as high as in a - working - Metal code variant).

Best regards,

Wilfried

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Rikof: I tried to use prorender twice which ended up in 2 crashes + C4D freeze. 2 bug reports filed with no response back from Maxon so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong besides having Macs with Nvidea cards... Means I won't be touching it anymore. 
AFAIK Nvidia cards are not supported on Mac at this point. You are doing nothing wrong "besides having Macs with Nvidia cards". If I was you I would probably touch it again in case that setup is supported in the future instead of giving up on an officially not supported scenario. What you could do to increase the likeliness of this becoming a reality was already stated by wbj.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by wbj: There 's currently a bug in the Metal driver on that specific hardware, that (depending on the scene content) can crash Metal; the bug is already filed @Apple. Please switch to OpenCL on the 2013 MacPro for now. You still get a significant ProRender speedup in SP2 compared to R19.024 (albeit not as high as in a - working - Metal code variant).

Best regards,

Wilfried

Thanks for the info Wilfried
I saw the info about Metal working now with this now update so thought I;d check it out. 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by wbj: It's not in the hands of Maxon to fix OpenCL drivers or deliver fixed OpenCL drivers. Please let your gfx card vendor know that you're interested in those drivers for the Mac ...

Best regards,

Wilfried
WHile I understand this comment and it's a reasonable one, IMO it's not a realistic approach to the problem getting solved.

What will happen when AMD or NVIDIA (or any big hardware developer) hears from a lone end-user or a few end-users at random asking for updated OpenCL drivers? Nothing. They will ignore the email and the person will never get a response in most cases.

What will happen if MAXON (and/or other developers) go to those same GPU vendors and say "we have many customers trying to make this work and it's not working due to the state of OpenCL drivers. It would be great if you could update them so everything works well regardless of OS or GPU platform." I don't know the final answer for sure but I bet it starts with "the vendor saw that the request was coming from a major developer and immediately paid attention to what was being asked."

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by Blinny: WHile I understand this comment and it's a reasonable one, IMO it's not a realistic approach to the problem getting solved.

What will happen when AMD or NVIDIA (or any big hardware developer) hears from a lone end-user or a few end-users at random asking for updated OpenCL drivers? Nothing. They will ignore the email and the person will never get a response in most cases.

What will happen if MAXON (and/or other developers) go to those same GPU vendors and say "we have many customers trying to make this work and it's not working due to the state of OpenCL drivers. It would be great if you could update them so everything works well regardless of OS or GPU platform." I don't know the final answer for sure but I bet it starts with "the vendor saw that the request was coming from a major developer and immediately paid attention to what was being asked."

NVIDIA cards on the Mac are (currently) a niche product. As such I would assume the vendor not only pays attention to a developer, but esp. pays attention to the small audience that is buying this expensive after-market product and how the vendor targets the development efforts for this niche product - and this is why I think you underestimate the influence a company will pay to feedback of this customer group. Is there a guarantee that giving feedback will result in fixed drivers - certainly not. Does it increase the odds ? I think so ...

Best regards,

Wilfried

3 Days Ago
Originally Posted by ooo: Thanks for the warning. Is there a problem when you upgrade to High Sierra and FCPX?

It seems, there are several problems with the latest FCP if you just upgraded to High Sierra. With a clean install of High Sierra it is probably better. You can find more infos about this matter on the Apple Support Forums.

For now I stay with Sierra 10.12.6 an FXP 10.3.4. The new color correction tools are looking good but they are useless in a Reg-709 workflow anyway. ;-)

3 Days Ago
Since several years, there was a bug with Physical Render and motion blur, if you use it with render instances. The moment the render instances move in the scene, they are not rendered anymore. In R19 they are rendered now, but flipped 90°. This looks of course some sort of funny, but donīt get the job done.

Any news on this matter with the last update?

3 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Havealot: AFAIK Nvidia cards are not supported on Mac at this point. You are doing nothing wrong "besides having Macs with Nvidia cards". If I was you I would probably touch it again in case that setup is supported in the future instead of giving up on an officially not supported scenario. What you could do to increase the likeliness of this becoming a reality was already stated by wbj.

This isn't true. Apple/Nvidia provide -- and keep updated -- Nvidia drivers for a wide range of cards. Support for these cards started back up about a year ago. I've got an older Nvidia card in my MacPro 2011 Cheese grater. Works fine. I've used that machine as a slave when rendering c4d Cycles. The GPU is utilized fine.

Every month or two I get a pop-up notification to upgrade the Nvidia drivers.

The OpenCl/Apple/Metal/c4d compatibility cocktail is a separate question.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 3 Days Ago at 01:35 AM.

2 Days Ago
Yup, IceCaveMan is indeed correct. Running a GTX 1080ti on a cheesegrater Mac Pro here for my Octane/Redshift needs. Works great. Drivers were upgraded a couple of weeks ago.

2 Days Ago
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: This isn't true. Apple/Nvidia provide -- and keep updated -- Nvidia drivers for a wide range of cards. Support for these cards started back up about a year ago. I've got an older Nvidia card in my MacPro 2011 Cheese grater. Works fine. I've used that machine as a slave when rendering c4d Cycles. The GPU is utilized fine.

Every month or two I get a pop-up notification to upgrade the Nvidia drivers.

The OpenCl/Apple/Metal/c4d compatibility cocktail is a separate question.
What I meant is that this combination of hardware is not supported by ProRender. 

reply share thread