AMD Radeon ProRender render engine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 3 Hours Ago   #181
Any news about*Prorender plugin for cinema 4d? Is there some closed beta testing?

Old 1 Hour Ago   #182
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen: My new GTX 1080 arrived today, and I tested Prorender in Blender. Results are pretty good: nice material browser with a range of pre-built materials, and both the CPU and GPU can be used in tandem to render. Integration in Blender is very good too - very similar to Cycles. The opengl viewport in Prorender is nowhere near as good as Cycles, though, which provides good material previews. I'll be curious to see how Maxon solved this.

Rendering speed is slower than Cycles. It's difficult to compare, but Prorender with GTX 1080 + CPU feels a little more than twice as slow compared with a single GTX 1080 used for Cycles and the same viewport size and objects. Of course, AMD GPUs may very well result in faster rendering than Nvidia's OpenCL implementation.

When comparing Cycles and Prorender based on CPU rendering only, Prorender is MUCH slower compared. To the point of unworkable - any change to an object takes a while to register, while Cycles steams along. Unless Maxon optimizes Prorender somehow for CPU-only rendering, I'd say that a good high-end GPU is a minimum requirement, in my opinion. Preferably an AMD one, I assume.

Hardware: i7 920@3.6ghz, 48gb ram, GTX 1080 8GB, Windows 10.

I'm cautiously optimistic that AMD and MAXON will have had more resources working together than AMD with Blender.org, such that the speed issues you're seeing here won't apply in C4D. If they do, it's a problem. As for Nvidia performance vs. AMD on OpenCL, technically if the two cards in question support the same level of OpenCL, then differences would probably boil down to the number of compute cores in the two cards. Whichever one has more, wins? Not sure but that seems logical on the face of it. Not so much a brand thing as a number of cores thing. Maybe.

reply share thread