Learning From Artists We Admire

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2014   #1
Learning From Artists We Admire

In an effort to get some more community interaction going I thought of this thread. Every artist learns from other artists at some point, we all have forerunners that inspired us somehow but I don't get to talk with other artists as often as I would like about who inspires them.

1) Post images from an artist (or artists) of your choosing
2) Discuss each piece:
Why do you personally like it.
Fundamentally how does it work (composition, lighting, story, mood, contrast, etc.)
3) What do you feel this artist does well that your own work can learn from?

Last edited by Andrewty07 : 01 January 2014 at 07:13 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #2
I am going to pick Simon Stalenhag, I was very inspired and driven by the world of Half Life and though his work is completely separate from that origin it feels similar. He has powerful mood and story behind his works as they have evolved into a massive image of this world in his mind.

Image One

I love this piece because it has a nice chilled mood, he uses powerful variations of blue hues to both show the time of day/evening and temperature combined with the clothing of the child in the foreground to know it's chilly out. There is a strong pull of the eye to the lower right both from the detail, contrast of his red hat with the desaturated material behind it and having a human figure in the piece. This is balanced out fairly well with the line bringing the eye to the left (rope tied to sphere) and bright orange/yellow windows of the house in the background.

Image Two

This piece is one of my favorites from Simon because of the story it conveys. He nicely shows depth by transitioning detail through the grass from showing clear individual strands to blurred loos brush strokes in the background. When I first glance at the piece I focus on the robot because of it's complexity, contrast of dark on light background and center position. Instantly I notice the human figures because of the extended hand implying control over the robot. It is an interesting presentation because the children could be playing with a large elaborate toy but because of the police presence I feel they are about to do something extra mischievous.

Last edited by Andrewty07 : 01 January 2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: removal of images for links

Old 01 January 2014   #3
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&type=3&theater

I adore Jaemin, simply because of his designs. For the past year or so I've been obsessed with finding GOOD alien designs, designs that aren't bipedal and only have a slightly distorted head, alien designs that look out of this world but aren't so in the realistic sense that they AREN'T recognisable as living things (eg: blobs), alien designs with the right amount of distortion of features taken from living things we find on this planet, so that it isn't again instantly recognisable as HEY THAT'S A RHINO'S HEAD yet still resembling and illustrating that sort of living breathing creature that we could identify. If I've ever seen anyone get even CLOSE to that it's Jaemin Kim.
I can learn and am STARTING to learn from Kim the all well known idea of forgetting everything you know, about how things function, especially the things RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, the things that you think you are %100 knowledgeable of, forget everything you know about them and start from scratch.
If anyone knows any other artists heading in that direction, PLEASE consider telling me!

Old 01 January 2014   #4
Originally Posted by Andrewty07: 1) Post 1-5 images from an artist (or artists) of your choosing (imbed for us lazy folk, links are fine too)

Links would be better. Remember that posting images without credit in the image itself and directly embedded in the post like you did, without explicit permission of the artist, is in the gray area edging on copyright issues.

Don't take offense, please, it's glaringly obvious you're not mis-appropriating or intending anything other than praise (and I love his work too), just it's an uncomfortable gray area when the image itself doesn't even carry the copyright info.

Old 01 January 2014   #5
You know what I recommend.

Do master copies.
The masters are masters for a reason and there ais a lot you can learn from them
to help improve your technique
I would recommend on a heartbeat
Rembrant,
Johannes Vermeer
Gustav Klint
Andrew Wyeth

And more recently
Grant Wood
Norman Rockwell The work he did during the civil rights era is Awesome
Edward Hopper
Chris Foss
Drew Struzan
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01 January 2014   #6
I`ve been digging Kentaro Kanamoto work for a while. Kentaro is a monster with color and climax, I have a folder with about 20/30 of his very best work rolling back and forth as wallpapers. Instant inspiration from such a master. Kentaro, a humble fan, salutes you.

http://www.kentarokanamoto.com/

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

If you didn't know about him, your welcome!

Last edited by JWRodegher : 01 January 2014 at 03:00 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #7
Originally Posted by jj1567: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...&type=3&theater
For the past year or so I've been obsessed with finding GOOD alien designs, designs that aren't bipedal and only have a slightly distorted head, alien designs that look out of this world but aren't so in the realistic sense that they AREN'T recognisable as living things (eg: blobs), alien designs with the right amount of distortion of features taken from living things we find on this planet...

Thanks for sharing I had to like that page because there are some awesome works on there I agree that it is particularly nice to see a creature or alien that you can't directly tell the influences. I am sure the artist is pulling from something or at minimum anatomical knowledge but it's that knowledge that makes the creatures feel like they could be real somewhere.

Old 01 January 2014   #8
"Into The Fire" by Drew Struzan

I like how he uses the contrasting color themes, and portrays what feels like a whole story with intrigue, romance, danger, and exotic themes all in one piece.

This does look a bit like a variant of the "floating heads" posters theme, but he is able to put a twist on it with the reclining woman and the exploding car.

The transitions are also a work of genius, like the fire on the guy's face at the top of the picture, as well as the rifle appearing as a "left margin" for the picture. Actually I think that left margin element isn't exactly the best part of it. But I think Drew mostly got away with it.

Very nice transition using dark shadows to the rest of the picture at the bottom.

It's a unqiue composition, and portrays a lot of themes and probably makes a film seem better than it is.

He also does something similar for "Cuthroat Island"

The color transitions and ability to use color contrasts in this way, and I think it would also be amazing to be able to animate characters that look a bit like Drew Struzan "characters".

Old 01 January 2014   #9
If you want us to find any particular artists for Meet The Artist, please tell us!

Hi all,

Thanks for this thread! We're revitalising the Meet The Artist program this year, so if you'd like us to see if we can feature any of these artists, please let me know

We're aiming to run live web sessions as well as the standard forum Q & A. Suggestions welcome. Essential, in fact.

Old 01 January 2014   #10
Simon Lee has been one of my favorite sculptors for a couple of years now.

Check out the sculptathon he had in 2011 where he did 20 monsters sculptures in 20 days.

He has a show piece called At the Gates of Hell that's really impressive. It consist of 50 individual sculptures!

The Stan Winston school did a nice interview with him.
He was a self-taught programmer that started his own web design company and at the age of 40 he decided to quit designing web pages and start doing sculpting full time.

His story is a reminder for me that it's never too late to follow your passion. Also his work ethic and attention to detail inspires me to improve my own work.

Old 01 January 2014   #11
Sorry, no time write up info on each image (and I don't think I could pick just 5), but PaperBlue ( Jae Cheol Park) is a mega-talented artist/designer I've followed for years. I don't think I've seen anyone who crosses so many boundaries between nature, vehicles real and imagined, epic historical settings, or hardcore sci-fi environments. He's a master at monochromatic palettes and ridiculous amounts of detail. And I love the loose, painterly look to his brushwork.

I've linked his CGHub portfolio above since it's much faster than his website. But have a look at both if you can.

Best of all, his art book is coming to Amazon US this year. Get it here.

Old 01 January 2014   #12
Originally Posted by Artbot: Sorry, no time write up info on each image (and I don't think I could pick just 5), but PaperBlue ( Jae Cheol Park) is a mega-talented artist/designer I've followed for years.

He really can show some crazy levels of scenery detail like in this one, thanks for sharing I am glad this thread has caught some interest. It's nice discovering more artists to keep an eye on for inspiration. I edited my original post to no longer say up to 5, I figure it's better if we just share all we want regarding other artists we admire.

One little hobby I have picked up again was building mech kits because I love the artwork and design behind them (mostly kotobukiya armored core ones like this. Though that interest of mine I discovered Kow Yokoyama and ma. k unfortunately books with his art or the model kits made based on them are pricey and hard to find aside from sources like ebay. So for now I just roam the internet for posts of his works or kits enthusiasts have worked on.

Here is one of the kits that features some simple electronics as well.

Old 01 January 2014   #13
I'd have to go for the classic artists too, Rembrandt's already been mentioned, some of my other favourites...

Egon Schiele
MC Escher
Albrecht Dürer

I used to be a Wildlife Artist, one of my favourites from that area:

Bob Kuhn

Old 01 January 2014   #14
This reminded me of an older thread, some very talented concept artists

Concept artists thread

Old 01 January 2014   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread