Need some advice - Thinking about trying to enroll for Ringling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2010   #1
Need some advice - Thinking about trying to enroll for Ringling

Hello,

I was considering trying to build a portfolio to showcase for Ringling. However, my current skill level doesn't allow for it. I'm living at home with my parents trying to save up some money to move. After I feel that my skills are at a decent level, I will move down to Florida (if I got accepted into Ringling).

The situation is is that I'm currently enrolled in school for a marketing major/art minor. To be honest, I just started drawing a few months ago, but I'm serious about my practice and ambitions. I was thinking that I should stay in school, which would take about three years. During that time frame I would be practicing my drawing, and once I graduated I would apply to Ringling.

Ringling is very expensive, though. It came to mind that maybe I should drop my current school programs and get a second job and just save up. Since I'm living with my parents, I can save up quite a bit. In the next year or so, I also might be good enough to start with some small commissions through Deviantart or some other venue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also, any estimation on where you have to be with your drawing abilities to be accepted into Ringling would be helpful; or, just general information on the school from students who go there would be nice, too.

Thanks.

Last edited by MatthewHD : 09 September 2010 at 06:14 AM.

Old 09 September 2010   #2
As far as what route you should take in terms of sticking with your schooling or dropping out now, its hard to say which is best for you and your situation since there are a lot of variables involved. I think it's really up to you to make that decision as only you fully understand your situation.

As far as your traditional art abilities go, just practice all you can, nail the basics like figure drawing, color, composition, perspective, etc to show them that your foundations are very solid. They don't want to see anime and sci fi characters, they want very traditional work so they know you have a solid base for them to build upon. You can get a lot of good info on these techniques online, but there also may be some very nice options local to you like workshops and community college courses that could be beneficial.

If you'd like an idea of what kind of portfolios Ringling is looking for, I believe they have discussed this exact thing on the conceptart.org forums. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing threads specifically about people posting their portfolios that they were accepted with, so try searching there. Good luck!

Old 09 September 2010   #3
I'd seriously recommend buying Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarth if you want to improve your anatomy and figure drawing skills. I got it for like 15 bucks from Amazon.com.

Old 09 September 2010   #4
Im actually a freshman here and it really does matter how well you draw to get in. I didn't submit many drawings and I still got it but the better at drawing you are the better your chances of getting in are. Apply early too

Old 09 September 2010   #5
Thanks for the replies - I've made my decision. As an aside, I'll have to check out that dynamic anatomy book.

Rainingblood - can you post some of your pictures that you sent as a portfolio to Ringling? I'd imagine you'd have to be a pretty decent artist to get in.

Last edited by MatthewHD : 09 September 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Old 09 September 2010   #6
Like i said before my portfolio consisted of 3D images made in maya and photoshop with some hand drawings and a couple others. Take a look at my gallery on this site. Most of what I submitted is here. The better drawing you can do the more likely you are to get in. Apply early like in december of your senior year and you stand a good chance of getting in Computer Animation.

Old 09 September 2010   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread