CGTalk > Techniques > Compositing and Editing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
Laserschwert
Expert

Camera Response Curve Data... how to convert?

Some of you might know the old (and now discontinued) Motiva RealCamera that can be used to emulate the look of different film stocks. Now I've stumbled over a post on their forums saying that they've used the camera response data that came from CAVE laboratory for their implementation. The CAVE site says:
Quote:
To evaluate response models, we collected 201 response curves for common brands of films, ccds, as well as video, and digital cameras. The data was obtained from charts or was measured. All of the curves in the database are monotonic and normalized to have domain and range [0 , 1] and sampled at 1000 points. The database is in the form of a text file. For each entry we give the name of the curve. The curves are linear in irradiance and intensity, however, the scale on which the curves were originally obtained, eg. log-log, is also specified. The irradiance entries are listed below the heading "I=," while the intensity is listed under "B=."
So the download is a text file with a bunch of values for the curves and I'm wondering if it is somehow possible to convert these to a format that's more usable for post production (like LUT or Adobe's ACV)?

Coming from the digital realm without a photography background, I don't really understand how these two curves (intensity and irradiance) translate to the typical three curves (R,G,B) of color correction. Is intensity the same as luminance, while irradiance causes a color change?

How can we make use of this data?

Edit: Obviously I've read the file wrong, since it contains two curves per channel. The first three curve pairs are named agfacolor-futura-100CDRed, agfacolor-futura-100CDGreen and agfacolor-futura-100CDBlue. Also the Irradiance and Brightness are describing the X and Y axis of the curve graph.

Edit2: Okay, this probably should be moved to a different forum... I thought it might fit into "post production" somehow, but maybe it makes more sense in the "CG General Discussion" forum?

Last edited by Laserschwert : 01-17-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread