Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #136
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Obviously go with whatever works best, though one other thing that may help, in the collada import preferences, try enabling the "fix transparency" options just in case. Some files incorrectly apply the wrong transparency to the materials which can hide the underlying colour of the material.

Just out of curiosity, whats the opengl issue you have? There is a world of difference between the speed and quality of the software shading and opengl.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #137
Continuumx
i n f i n i t e

portfolio
Tyrone Marshall
Architecture
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
Obviously go with whatever works best, though one other thing that may help, in the collada import preferences, try enabling the "fix transparency" options just in case. Some files incorrectly apply the wrong transparency to the materials which can hide the underlying colour of the material.

Just out of curiosity, whats the opengl issue you have? There is a world of difference between the speed and quality of the software shading and opengl.

Thanks - I think it is part of the ongoing discussion with OPENGL. It is basically viewport speed. I did not think about this in versions 10 or 11 as an issue. I checked release 13 and the issue is present there as well. The issue is when I want to rotate the camera view in a viewport, it takes a few seconds to register the movement. This is after I have executed the shortcut to do so. It usually takes about 2 or 3 rounds of issuing the command then waiting a few seconds, do it again, etc to get the movement going. Sometimes it is a hesitance on C4D putting the cursor cross in the window or trying to select an object with the new object highlight in the viewport (orange or white outline around the object being selected). It is always a hesitance. If I switch to software view this goes away.

This is especially true with the scene I posted a screenshot above. This is not an intensive architecture scene in terms of number of objects.

I definitely enjoy OPENGL mode but the hesitance before camera movement (rotation, movement) is slow enough to interfere with the specific task at hand.

Last edited by Continuumx : 06-15-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #138
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Try this, in your prefs, go to the navigation tab and set camera mode to 'object', and Dolly to Cursor to 'Off'

With R13 or so they added a new navigation mode which uses whatever is under your mouse as the pivot point for moving, zooming and rotating. As nice as this is, it has to ask the opengl system to tell it what is under the mouse pointer. On complex scenes, this can lag.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #139
ThirdEye
PinealGlandOptics

CGSociety Member
Alberto Blasi
Architect & Graphic Designer
Milan, Italy

This thread is so long the future of CINEMA 4D has now become the past of CINEMA 4D.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #140
Continuumx
i n f i n i t e

portfolio
Tyrone Marshall
Architecture
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
Try this, in your prefs, go to the navigation tab and set camera mode to 'object', and Dolly to Cursor to 'Off'

With R13 or so they added a new navigation mode which uses whatever is under your mouse as the pivot point for moving, zooming and rotating. As nice as this is, it has to ask the opengl system to tell it what is under the mouse pointer. On complex scenes, this can lag.

Thanks Mash! This has improved the experience greatly. That ArchVis scene I had issues with hesitance previously is gone. Its a lot like I remember R11 and R12. I like the dolly to cursor, but not at the expense of lagging viewport interaction.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #141
keremgo3d

Red face

I'm really happy that I started this thread because lots of priceless & precious input from many wonderful people...

Last edited by keremgo3d : 10-18-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #142
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread