tapaul
Expert

portfolio
Paul Everett
Tools4D
Hessen, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi

It seems every time I read a post from you it is a complaint about something or other.

Holy crap , dejavue or copy paste?

How dare you say this in a public forum. This is exactly,word for word what I was told earlier this week with quite insulting consequnces for myself.
You guys are out of control and need to stop attacking people when they dont say what you want to hear.

this has to be some kind of all time low, I am simply shocked and I hope that bjorn comes in here and moderates this quickly before I explode.

Last edited by tapaul : 01-24-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #47
Mr.Tyler Durden
Know-it-All
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
Hey Patrick--hows it going

I can see how some might feel some of us are ranting about wanting more in the particle department, and I suppose some of us are. But that's what the internet is for anyway, right?

I can't speak for others, but based on my experiences, the work is getting more demanding out there and each year the bar continues to be raised. Work that was once reserved for high end film vfx has trickled down into almost everything--just poke around Vimeo and you can see smaller mograph shops and even single freelance guys churning out great stuff.

I think these rants are just a reaction from those of us who want to remain competitive. As Priest said above, I too do not wish to change careers and become a full-blown vfx guy, but I do recognize the need to (and would like to) strengthen those abilities. C4D has always been the tool of choice for the freelance generalist. What it means to be a generalist now and 5 or 6 years ago has changed. C4D has done an excellent job over the years keeping up with the changing needs of its user base, and I guess I (we) just hope it continues to do so.

well said, this sums up parts of the problem and my general experience as well..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #48
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Chi, can't the 10 million limit can be removed with the addition of a zero in maxon's code? That would solve the problems faced by those importing cached data and could be part of a small update for R14. If they don't want to feature it as a permanent number, a simple checkbox indicating the desire to raise that limit for special purposes would work.

This week I missed out on a killer project and sadly a lot of money too. I was all over the forum trying frantically to find a solution that rendered many particles quickly with dof and motion blur. I didn't actually exceed the particle limit, but ran into a lot of dead ends and basically threw in the tower.

C4D was the right tool for the Mograph portion of the work, no doubt about it. It was the right tool for all the other creative freedoms that C4D affords you. But it was wrong choice in the end for rendering the particle data. There's other work out there and I won't lose any sleep over the missed opportunity, it's just a shame the tools weren't there for the job is all, as it would have made a killer portfolio piece. Maybe next time.

I don't hold any resentment towards Maxon, it would great though if they got on board and paid attention to the countless requests to address these problems. As even solo artists would love to dabble in a more robust particle solution.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
Troyan
Ice Cream Fanatic

portfolio
Troyan Turner
Creative Director
The Danse Multimedia
USA

Send a message via AIM to Troyan
Whoops, didn't mean to post here. Sorry. Can you not delete a post?
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #50
obeardy
Know-it-All
portfolio
David O'Reilly
Managing Director/Developer
INSYDIUM LTD
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelOtron
screenshots of my settings. Top image is what I want--and what I get in the editor window.

Thanks to Joel for the scene, I checked on the problem in it was a limitation of the Tracer. It was not supplying the spline data for hair to use. However, as requested somewhere else in this thread a way to cache the Tracer solve this and other problems:

The new update of pCache can now have a Tracer (or any spline generator) put in as the input Particles link and will cache it. It can then output this to a spline object, particles, points or from its own Generate tab it can generate splines/objects from the cached Tracer (or tracing of the tracer) plus render with Hair directly from pCache so you can use any standard CINEMA Material to render the spline and not just limited to hair materials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcached_tracer.JPG (42.9 KB, 141 views)

A question that sometimes drives me hazy, am I or are the others crazy?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #51
JoelDubin
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
United%2BStates

Just a follow up on the original topic...

David was kind enough to look at my file and acknowledged a bug/limitation with it in regard to the tracer object, cloners and rendering hair. The tracer was not generating points in the picture viewer hence no hair was rendered. He also added new functionality to his pCache plugin which can now cache tracers and as a result, allow the hair to render.
"happy emoticon here"

(whoops--see above)

MadMicrobe
MadMograph (blog)
Behance

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #52
useruser
Veteran
portfolio
Oli Petz
munich, DE

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeardy
Thanks to Joel for the scene, I checked on the problem in it was a limitation of the Tracer. It was not supplying the spline data for hair to use. However, as requested somewhere else in this thread a way to cache the Tracer solve this and other problems:

The new update of pCache can now have a Tracer (or any spline generator) put in as the input Particles link and will cache it. It can then output this to a spline object, particles, points or from its own Generate tab it can generate splines/objects from the cached Tracer (or tracing of the tracer) plus render with Hair directly from pCache so you can use any standard CINEMA Material to render the spline and not just limited to hair materials.

great!
once again: thanks a lot david!

Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #53
ThePriest
Bad Ass

portfolio
Stuart Townsend
Environment artist
Berkeley, USA

Nice teaser on the site David. Great update to PCache, very useful. Sure as heck beats re-sampling the tracer every time I want to scrub my animation.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #54
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread