ErikSvensson
Señor Animator

portfolio
Erik Svensson
Senior Animator
Guerrilla Games
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Send a message via MSN to ErikSvensson
Verkligen kul att se at en av dom större här på CG-talk är svensk Kan bara säga att du totalknäcker med dina bilder, sen fann jag mycket intressant i din skinshader tråd. Tack ska du ha Ståhlberg!

//Erik

Old 04-26-2005, 02:23 AM   #152
Stahlberg
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Steven Stahlberg
Lead Artist
Streamline Studios
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

maranello55, several people have asked me that recently, and I don't have a really clear answer. Like most others, I want to work on something really cool, to me that means like feature film or short film, or an unusually cool TV series... not games so much, I've done that.

ArtisticVisions, The nose and the lips are good, just the skintone seems a bit too pale and yellowish. The eyes and eyebrows need a bit of touch-up, check out Linda's eye painting tutorial in the Art Discussion forum, that should give some hints. The eyebrows: they seem light grey now (not sure if the character is supposed to have silver eyebrows?), maybe colorpick the color from the darkest shadow on the nose and use that to paint the brows... don't paint every hair, squint at your reference and try to paint the blurry version you see. The eye on our left: it's too almond shaped, needs to narrow on the outside. Both eyes have lower lashes that seem too thick and black. Also, the dark ring around the iris seems too black... but a good start, overall proportions seem ok. This 45 degree angle is very difficult.

overcontrast and RanZ Cross, thanks.

paperclip, the red of the shadows doesn't seem to go with the greenish lighting... the black lines outside the nostrils should probably be softened. The chin seems an odd shape, no dip under the lower lip... the eye on our right seems bigger than the other. Ears seem a bit too flat against the head. Basic shape of the head is good.

roberte, "Would you please explain your thinking re. contour rendering as opposed to the ultra realism of your direction until now. I recently read some of the articles relative to the "Uncanny Valley" principle and in part agree with them."
Yes the 'Uncanny Valley' effect is part of it.
http://www.arclight.net/~pdb/nonfic...nny-valley.html

"For me, the artists job is to interpret reality, not to become a camera"
Yes I agree completely.

"being able to create believable charactors for a script I have written, cast them in a movie based upon my vision and have it be perceived as real"
The first part, yes, but that last part about 'real' - it would be just as cool, or maybe even cooler, if the movie is just one notch more stylized than reality, I think. 'Sky Captain' was a good example of this (though the soft-lens effect may have been a litte strong for some).
I'm trying to find a good compromise. I believe I can find one, where the lines are actually making the imagery more beautiful, yet still keeping the overall feeling very close to reality.

warcross, thanks, glad to help!

I think this will be my last reply here, so let me just say it's been a pleasure, thank you everybody, and most of all Leonard for inviting me.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:14 AM   #153
Jeremyi
CUBIC*cube

portfolio
Jeremy Gardner
USA

heh thanks no problem though ill keep looking.
Im accualy from California Just liveing here.

11 Years is a long time ill keep that in mind when im angry at myself for not haveing anything to draw or cant get something right

thanks

Old 04-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #154
roberte
Know-it-All
portfolio
Robert Ellison
Creative Director
Robert Ellison Imaging
USA

Stephen,

I'm glad you said what you did re."real" as I realized that I wasn't exactly clear in how I phrased my statement.
The sky captain example is excellent in that it is an example of an experience that creates exactly the kind of "reality" I am interested in. An alternative, interpretive stylization which is believable on it's own terms but is neither a strict copy of existing reality or something so far removed from the possible that it can only be accepted as fantasy, or sci fi. It is why Gollem is such a captivating character. There is enough humanity in the character to be able to appreciate the variance from the norm as being something entirely plausible.

I look forward to your exploration of these issues in your future work.

Robert

Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 PM   #155
ArtisticVisions
A Celshaded Reality

portfolio
Jason
USA

Thanks for taking the time to look over that, Steven. In regards to you question, yeah, the eyebrows were suppose to be platinum-silver; I didn't think painting each hair would really work, but I had never done digital painting before, so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.
Don't know if I'll stay with that "realistic" style for the Challenge (my current sketching is leading me in another direction), but it was good practice and I'm glad to have gotten your input on it.

Thank you again.

Old 04-27-2005, 12:59 AM   #156
rkv
roshan
United States Minor Outlying Islands

how long do u normally take to finish your work from start to finish?

Old 04-27-2005, 04:55 AM   #157
Leonard
Jedi Master

portfolio
Leonard Teo
Montreal, Canada

OK folks, time to wrap this up. We've given ample time for everyone to post questions and have Steven answer them.

A big thanks to Steven Stahlberg for taking the time to participate in this Q&A session!

Best,

Leonard

Thread Closed share thread