[WIP] Sector 4 - Etsu entry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #31
The demo is already finished since a few hours ago, but my slow Internet connection has not let me upload it yet.

I'll try again in a few minutes.

Old 11 November 2013   #32
We are almost there. Just a few minutes left.

Last edited by Etsu : 11 November 2013 at 09:11 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #33

Well, this is the demo of the first room of the game.

I remade the main menu scene because the old one stopped working again, and created a little introductory sequence.

I would describe it as a tribute to the classic Point & Click adventure games, but in first-person perspective, though perhaps I should not describe it. Suffice it to say that it's not a shooter at all, at least not in its actual state. It's a kind of exploration game. You can explore the scenario and find different kind of stuff, particularly new talk sequences.

As a side note, you can manipulate things with the right mouse button, even it has not gameplay purpose in this first little chapter. For that reason I did not mention it during the actual game. You can also pause the game with the Esc key or the F12 key, but you are going to lose the actual dialog if there is one and even the music. (Don't use the Esc key if you are playing in Full Screen mode, of course.) In the main menu screen you can get rid of the menu titles if you press the right mouse button, and you can get the menues back if you press any key again.

Basically, that's it. You can download the 120 MB Zip file and execute it with the web browser of your preference. The resolution is set to 960x540 for convenience, but it will change if you go full screeen.

The music and aditional textures are free and you can find the full credits at the end. (If somebody catches something or someone whom I missed mention it, let me know, and I will add it to the credits.)

Thanks and hope you like it.

Download Version 0.4

Note: The server is Mediafire because dropbox simple refuses to upload anything.

Last edited by Etsu : 11 November 2013 at 06:53 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #34
Bug report:

I found a major flaw in a sequence: Number Five refuses to look at you for a few moments. But it's a very difficult sequence to get, so I suppose it's not a mayor problem. (You have to be very creative and stubborn to gain that sequence during the dialog scene before getting out of the bed, so most players will never see it.)

This is not a bug, but it's worth mentioning: There is an invisible wall around the bed when you start walking. That's because I don't want Number Five or Sixteen fly through a real wall by mistake if the player starts exploring instead of talk with the bots. It will be replaced in the final version of the game, of course, because nobody likes invisible walls.

Old 11 November 2013   #35
Hey Etsu,

That was great! The robots are hilarious!
I can't wait to continue!

I only ran into one little bug. I started out in full screen, and when it came time for me to scroll my mouse to agree or disagree, it wouldn't work. I had to exit full screen to regain proper mouse control.

Cheers!
- Bergquist

Old 11 November 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Bergquist: That was great! The robots are hilarious!
I can't wait to continue!

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you like the robots. (You know more about them than about Alan in this first demo. I hope to show you more about Alan in future chapters, because he has a lot to say.)

Originally Posted by Bergquist: I only ran into one little bug. I started out in full screen, and when it came time for me to scroll my mouse to agree or disagree, it wouldn't work. I had to exit full screen to regain proper mouse control.

Sorry for that. It's weird because it works for me, so maybe it's an occasional error. Perhaps it's because I use different methods to block the cursor instead of only one. A method may not work well with the other.

Another issue I just found is that the pause system can be problematic, and one of the robots continues talking even with the Time Scale set to 0. Even if I am proud of the pause system because it was difficult of achieve and I like how it works, I suggest not to use it until I find out how to effectively pause the audio. xD

Last edited by Etsu : 11 November 2013 at 01:46 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #37
I managed to solve the problem with the Pause thing, but I have to deactivate Real Time from every Wait action that is set to real time, or when you restart the game the next audio file begins to be heard right away, and you can end up with multiple audio files playing simultaneously. That's going to take me a while, and I only have a couple hours to sleep, so I'll do it later.

Now I'm going to add music to the pause.

Old 11 November 2013   #38
I made a PC build of the game and a lot of things stopped working after that.

I'm trying to figure it out how to make things work again, and after that I'll never do that again.

No PC version fot this one. Ever.

Old 11 November 2013   #39
Update report:

In the actual build, you can interact with objects if one of two conditions is fulfilled:

a) You are within a certain trigger area around the object.
b) You are at a certain distance from the object.

That's not ideal, because you can look or take an object without facing it, which is not very plausible. I'm changing that now, so you must be at a certain distance from the object (less than two meters for example) and facing such object at a certain angle, which is more accurate.

After that I'm going to change the introduction sequence for the real one, which will be fully playable.

Last edited by Etsu : 11 November 2013 at 03:24 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #40
Yesterday I uploaded the version 0.4. Runs much better than the last one, however no significant changes were made.

I'm considering posting this demo in the WIP section of the Unity forum, but maybe I should wait until the first chapter is completed. I'm not sure about the graphics either. Maybe I will leave it as it is, as an eternal prototype, or I could try to replace walls and furniture for something nicer. Not really sure about that. I want to finish this and move on to my next project as soon as possible.

I have three future projects in mind:

1) A story about human cloning. It's set during the eighties and the main character it's a child or adolescent girl.

2) A sci-fi adventure. I'm discouraged by the amount of space games that are in development right now, but this will not be an estrategic or simulation game, but and adventure, with little room for space battles.

3) A lovecraftian game about a man in search for his brother. It's set in an remote island and you have to uncover a horror of ancient times. To find out what happened to your brother, would you take the risk of suffering the same fate as him? It's on you to decide.

Only the second one is meant to be made in Unity 3D. The other two were conceived to be made ​​with CryEngine 3, but I'm not sure how to make gameplay with that engine. We'll see which one is chosen.

Old 11 November 2013   #41
I just realized that I did not use Footsteps in the demo, and that's because the floor has no textures. Oh, well. I'll have to fix that later.

Old 01 January 2014   #42

This is the version 0.5 of the demo. You can download it for Google Drive. I added the possibility of play it in spanish. You just have to choose OPTIONS and then SPANISH in the main menu. I added new dialogs and sound effects, including foot steps, but essentially is the same demo.

Esc or F12 = Pause
F5 to F8 = Full Screen

The demo of the first room of Sector 4, made with FPSControl, a first person adventure game when you have to help two robots to escape an underground military complex. How much are you willing to sacrifice to achieve it? Is up to you to decide.

Download 0.5.1

Last edited by Etsu : 01 January 2014 at 04:23 PM.

Old 01 January 2014   #43
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread