Attempt at photorealism of Bedroom

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Attempt at photorealism of Bedroom

This is my first post and first ever attempt at photo realism. I followed a digital tutors tutorial but used my own model so id love some feedback. There are two sets of images one for day and one for night.

For the day model i used global illumination and final gather to get the result. I feel that this is the weakest still of the two, the top left corner was causing me problems and im not totally sure about the sun shining on the wall.

Night time, any feedback would be great.

Files are too big so here is the link:

http://imgur.com/a/X6atU

Old 06 June 2013   #2
its realy nice clean rendring But you need to take a car of materiales(Mapping)
good keep up working good

Old 06 June 2013   #3
I personally prefer the day renders but the wood texture size throws the whole thing off for me, also the grain seems too harsh.

The second day render, the same camera angle as the first night version I think looks the best and I woulda thought it light on the wall was the natural light based on your lighting setup...and had you tried experimenting with your bounced light photon count?

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Could you expand on what you mean by material mapping just so im clear?

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Thank you artdigital ,

No i haven't tried playing with the photon bounce, to be honest i haven't even seen the option. I'll take a look now and see what i can do.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Sorry, I meant the wood textures seem large for the objects and too pronounced, I thought it may look better more subtle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 06 June 2013   #7
material mapping

material mapping what I mean try to have pro Material Presets it will develop your final Out Put
(rendring), becouse what I see in your images NO Specular map or Bump map no fallof I think , believe me you will be surprise even sped up your works .
and try to work with IES light its better and artistic look .

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Hey man,

Does this happen to be your own room? Do you have any photo references your working from? What tools and software are you using?

It does look like you've got some photons getting stuck on your back wall. You might want to setup some kind of decay for that. Your model and textures could also use a little refining if your going for photo realism.

The stuff on the outside of the window should be over exposed, unless your mimicking a HDR photography setup with combined multiple exposures.

-AJ

Old 06 June 2013   #9
@AJ1

Yeah this is my own room.
Some photos are below. My images are not true to these but i use them more as a rough guide.

http://imgur.com/J3paXvS,hmAwbAb (Two images)

Photon deacy, i'll take a look for that too .
Yeah i really need to learn how to use textures better as i've never really used them properly. Ill see if i can get a tutorial on it.
I was wondering what to do with the window image actually. I'll try to fix all of the points that have been said on here and post an updated result soon.

Thanks for your help!

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Oh i'm using Maya 2013

Old 06 June 2013   #11
I think you need to use a UVW map when texturing judging by some way some of your textures look (the edges of the desk the texture looks overstretched) so separately map these areas, or use a UVW unwrap to map the whole object at once (UVW unwrap is kinda like laying open a cardboard box flat)

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread