Monster Concept

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Monster Concept

Just a simple sketch of a monster I had an idea about just wanting some feed back on how to make it a bit more epic and bettering my technique, whether focusing on more details, leaving it as a black and white sketch or maybe even adding some color. Need some help and more than welcome to hear some fresh thoughts on the matter. Thanks!

Last edited by MattU : 03 March 2013 at 12:39 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
It looks like conveying depth is something you can work on. Your dark values should become lighter the further they recede. Exaggerating this change can help illustrators convey dept. For instance, the darks on the creature's leg are as dark in value as those found in its mouth.

But having said that, there are still over ways to convey depth and sometimes your values don't need to become lighter. Refining how your lines overlap could do the job as well.

Try hashing out a few more sketches. Draw with big shapes and don't worry about smaller joint details of anything until those shapes have proper proportion and convey a sense of depth. Don't hold back from using references as well if you're incorporating human anatomy. In fact, always use references. You'd be lucky as hell to find a professional illustrator who did not constructively use references.

I believe these are things that will become evident to you the more you practice. Do some google image searches of creature concept art and really scrutinize how other artists have tackled these ideas.

Keep up the good work!

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Thanks Josh for the words of wisdom. Would you like me to fix this image or show you other works as well? I think another weakness of mine is that I'm very picky when it comes to details of my artwork. Any helpful advice on that?

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Hey Josh, I went out and jumped off a cliff on this one. I attacked one of my weakness and that's an environmental piece. Drawing environments are one of the things I dread. I meant for this to be a speed sketch but ended up being 2 hrs. I know I'm missing a view elements. The sky is a little lame and I think a bit of action would be nice like a space ship flying through the mountains and maybe one in the sky for some stimulating action. Thoughts sir? Oh yes this is my first attempt at an environment sketch. There is a mountain under the moons may have faded it a bit too much, but you can see it if you look real hard.

Last edited by MattU : 03 March 2013 at 01:17 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
I really am happy with this. I watched a video online about reflections and surfaces and instantly had to draw something. I call it "BallShip", couldn't think of anything fast enough and it was simple to do. I could have used a little more reference work on the cockpit, but I finished this in under ten mins!!! I know speed isn't everything but the fact that I did it in that time frame was very satisfying. I may even do a retake on this and add fins and a rudder.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Keep doing what you're doing man! Practice practice! On your environment concept, you're almost there. You have a lot of atmosphere in-between the foreground and the structure in the background, but that atmosphere doesn't seem to be effecting the orbiting moons to the same degree.

Your darkest darks on your moons should be lighter than the darkest darks on the structure. To add to that... As low to the horizon those moons appear to be, they should probably be as light in value as the most distant mountain.

Try ditching the farthest mountain and lightening up the values on the moons quite a bit.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Ok faded the moons more and took out the far mountain.

Last edited by MattU : 03 March 2013 at 05:21 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Tried a little manga style. Did it in about an hour time frame.

Last edited by MattU : 03 March 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Touched up on a few details

Last edited by MattU : 03 March 2013 at 08:37 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
You have a tendency to ignore mid-level details like proper depiction of form. You seem to habitually do the big shapes, then the micro details, and don't spend enough time on thinking about the forms.

For creatures, the anatomy has to appear convincing. so study the anatomy of different animal types and incorporate them into your visual vocabulary when you design creatures. Also, the surface property is also very important such as scales, textures, specularity, etc. Study everything from mammals to deep sea creatures to insects to reptiles.

I don't know what your aspirations are as an artist, but assuming you are professional aspirations, I would suggest you buckle down and study the critical foundations of visual art, and start doing it seriously before you build up too many bad habits that you're going to have to unlearn later in your artistic development. If you haven't done so, head on over to the Art T&T subforum (linked below in my signature) and read the sticky threads--it's created for people who want to excel effectively as artists.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
For you Robert

Thank you Robert for the feedback. I know habits are hard to break and I have taken the time to read your forums and they have been helpful, but I'm more of a visual person. I like to see the process of great art being done step by step. I feel as an artist its the best way I learn. I would love to take one of your classes. I just don't have that kind of money right now to take those classes, but I plan to when I do. I know I have a few flaws but my biggest issue I believe is "time". By that I mean I don't spend much time on my artwork as I should and I've noticed it. I'm always on the DSF trying to expand in different ways. However I noticed for the most part some of my submissions look like a 10 yr old drew them. Embarrassing when I know I am capable of doing better work.
So I spent some time on this one 7 hrs straight through non-stop to be exact. I know its not perfect but it sure looks good. I did this one for you Robert so I hope you like it.
First the Sketch and then the Finish

Old 03 March 2013   #12
That bottom monster is pretty cool. May I give you constructive feedback-- The monsters round head could be improved by creating the illusion of a stronger form. Look at a white ceramic bowl against the same colour, like a white sheet--you'd never have that outline. Study how certain edges against a similar background actually glow brighter.

Your shadow below should, IMO, carry the same value as your beasts skin. Study Penumbras, terminals and core shadows in lighting theory. You can add reflections, core and terminal gradiations that will bring your believability to another level for future drawings.

Keep it up.

Last edited by Narntson : 03 March 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Noah thanks for the constructive feedback It really helped out and is always welcomed. I hope he looks a little better now. Again, thanks Noah

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Had some fun with this one a lot of animal references, however on the muscles I played around a bit. A Bat-Baboon!!! Too bad this guy couldn't make it into the new Oz film.

Getting Started

To Near Finished

Have to give thanks to Josh for his helpful wisdom and for being a great friend!!!

Old 04 April 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread