which setup to unwrap a tree is the best?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
which setup to unwrap a tree is the best?

hi everybody.
this is my first posting in this forum. i am sitting in a 3D class right now and i am working on my first project. the project is nearly done, and not much time is left, so this topic is more something for future projects.

the question is about unwrapping a tree. i have attached a picture of the tree so that you can get an impression of the topology and what the whole tree looks like.

the basemesh is a hexagon. this way it was the easiest to weld the limbs of the tree to the trunk and vise versa. so the whole tree is a hexagon shaped model, before smoothing and champfering the edges, where needed.

the task of this threat is mainly, to find the best, or a very good solution of an unwrap workflow, so that i or even others who read this threat, might have a good clue how to approach such topic like a detailed tree.

why are these uv maps needed?
for texturing :-).
cause in mudbox you need uv maps for an object for example. it is easier and for me it works best to make the uv maps before exporting to mudbox, although you can make own uv maps in mudbox too, but with less control i think.

i would be happy to get a good threat started here, cause a nice detailed tree can be a very difficult task :-)

just as a reminder for beginners. when you want to put leafs on the trees, be careful with the setup, cause i maxed out the system here in class, by only 1/4 of the leafes, so my tree will not have all leafes for the project, cause 18000 leafes in total and the use of subsurface scattering is not handable by some computers.

hope to read some nice answers

take care
sven

edit:
here is a link where i have uploaded the picture in a better resolution.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/...bc9d0b924_b.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baum_testrender_001.jpg (53.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by borchi : 02 February 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Trees are always annoying to uv map.

Your first option is to not uvmap at all. I frequently use ptex to do trees, because ptex doesn't require unwrapping, it just requires a paint app, 3d app and renderer that all support the ptex standard. Mudbox can paint on ptex. Not sure what 3d app or rendeerr you're using, but may be worth checking out.

If you have to uvmap, I suggest peltmapping. Here's a tutorial on how to do it in 3dsmax, but maya and other apps have pretty similar tools.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educa...elt_mapping.htm

Good luck!

- Neil

Old 03 March 2013   #3
thx neil for answering.

peltmapping is a good idea. never thought of it, and yes i am using MAX. i guess this will help others too. my tree is allready done, at least what i need of it for my sequenzes. so this is more something for others too to read and for future projects.

one thing i can say for sure, that a nice old tree can be a pain in the.... when it comes to wrapping and texturing.

ptex is a possible solution too. depends what is more preferable. i had some trouble with ptex last time, so i am more old school and i prefer the wrapping at first stage before i convert to mudbox ;-)

i hope that the solutions of you might help some other people out there and for the next project i am going for the peltmapping, cause this seems to be a nice workflow.

maybe some others have diffrent ideas, or would the solution neil gave be some of the bests?

greets and thx to neil
sven

ps.: for myself i am looking for options of workflows that might suite me best. so i am thankful for any options

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread