Multilayered exr and "imf_copy" | RenderPass to RGBA

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Multilayered exr and "imf_copy" | RenderPass to RGBA

Hi guys.

My question isn't stricly related to "rendering" or maybe is ... anyway I'm putting it here...

I render a few passes with mentalRay to .exr... so as you know you can split rendering into individual files/perPass by using "file name prefix" with <RenderPass> keyword...but RGBA data for that pass is stored into individual RGBA pass channel. So you've got .exr with black(empty) RGBA and somePass RGBA channel... .

I'm aware of this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=976696 and few others.... but it was over year ago... and I would like to ask again ... is it possible to put RGBA data from specified pass to main RGBA data directly during rendering ?
I've search all day with no luck so even if it is still not possible would be great to know

And my second question is ...
Is "imf_copy" or "imf_disp" able to save (by commandline ) specified by me channel/layer from multilayered exr..... because it seems to me that it's not possible, although you can open exact channel/layer by commandline imf_disp.

I wish to separate one big .exr into multiple one channel/layer .exr files.

Of course I know there is few workarounds :} ....but I want to be sure about above methods.

So thanks guys for any input!! .
Best

Old 02 February 2013   #2
I did this for the first time the other day.

I made a layered shader node, then put different surface shaders in as different layers and used the custom color buffer pass and the writeToColorBuffer node to get each layer into a pass. It's great for an exr for nuke, saves work in nuke not having to shuffle and copy passes to the main data stream.

You may want to write a little script to automate the process though.

Is that what you meant?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thx gauranga108 for input....

and sorry for such dealy .... anyway... even if you setup cusotm 'writeToColorBuffer' RGBA information will be passed to that "customChannel" RGBA.... so it works like any of these predefined passes.

We could force MR to save pass/channel to RGBA by using single channel formats e.g iff and proper "fileNamePrefix" but I'm looking for solution to make singleChannel(RGBA) .exr straight from maya.

best!

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread